24 | 𝐃𝐫. 𝐏𝐞𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐬 𝐌𝐲 𝐃𝐫𝐮𝐠

Start from the beginning

Bucky was getting tired, and so was I, but were each fighting to stay awake It was sort of a game we had about whoever falls asleep first during a movie sucks, and whoever stays awake is superior.

Normally I lost, but today we were tying. At the conclusion of our movie, Bucky shut off the TV and brought Alpine into our room, while I checked on Ingrid to see her fast asleep. Later, I joined Bucky in our bed, and we fell asleep relatively quickly.

"What are you doing up so early?" Bucky asked, sitting up in bed allowing the blankets to pool around his waist.

I was currently moving Ingrid from her room to her bassinet, due to the fact that I was on my way out. It wasn't my intention to wake up Bucky, because I was really irritated, but I did. "I'm going to see Shuri on the way into town. Alpine is fed, I changed Ingrid, goodbye." I said, starting to walk out the door.

Bucky called out after me, and I walked briskly through the house, opening the door and stepping out into the misty early morning air. My headaches were getting worse and worse after every dream. My head hurt on the daily, and I kept feeling my powers sparking. Something was really, really wrong, and I needed Shuri to help me. But I didn't even know if she could.

"To what do I owe the pleasure, my friend?" T'challa greeted, his accent thick as we walked to his younger sister's lab.

I smiled. "Shuri told you, didn't she?" I questioned innocently, already knowing the answer.

The King nodded shamefully. "I walked in during her work on you, and she explained the situation. She also told me your wishes that this remain confidential, and I swear it has just stayed between us." T'challa assured me quickly, waving his hands to emphasize his thoughts.

I chuckled, gently placing my hand on his forearm to calm him down. "T'challa, it's okay. Relax. He's going to find out eventually." I mumbled the last part under my breath, as we entered the lab.

"Mamas!" Shuri yelled out, dropping her equipment and running to hug me, a hug I gladly reciprocated.

"You can actually call me that now." I laughed, pulling away from the hug to look at the young beauty in front of me. Shuri was just so gorgeous, her long braided hair falling over her shoulders, her kind eyes and her slight dimple evident.

She smiled, and kicked everyone but her brother out of her lab, ushering me over to a stool. Shuri sat down next to me, with T'challa behind her.

"I can't figure out what's going on with you. I'm smarter than Tony Stark, but even he wouldn't be able to figure this out. It's something not of this world. I'm sorry." The scientist listed, and I nodded, biting my lip.

"It's okay, Shuri. Thank you for trying." I said, nodding. It didn't surprise me that this was something nobody could figure out. So I painted a smile on my face, and spent the next hour with T'challa and Shuri.

Something that came up in the conversation were godparents. It was already decided by Bucky and I that Steve and Yelena would be the godparents for our second child, but we needed people we cared about deeply and were available to help with Ingrid if needed to be her godparents. Bucky and I had talked about it, but today was the official day that T'challa and Shuri were asked to be Ingrid Rebecca's godparents. They accepted happily.

I showed them pictures of Alpine and Ingrid, per T'challa's request, and our catch-up went extremely well. I couldn't spend a ton of time with them, as I had to go into town before I went home, so we said our goodbyes and I was escorted out of the palace.