so who exactly are you?

Start from the beginning

"Is that why you fell from a portal in the sky?"  I ask, wondering why she seemed so shocked if she had portald here herself.

"Yes, but I can't control it. It only happens when I'm really, really scared." She explains, making me think what could have scared her that much.

"There is someone hunting me so they can steal my powers." America looks at me worriedly. "They want to kill me..."

My heart immediately breaks for this young girl who was given a power that she doesn't want. Much like myself.

"Is that why your not with your Mom's?" I ask carefully, not wanting to touch on the obviously sensitive subject.

"I accidentally made a portal when I was little... It sucked them both, and me in. But I never saw them again." Her eyes begin to water at the memory.

"So who's been taking care of you?" I wonder out loud. She can't have been looking after herself all her life...

"Me." She answers bluntly. "A few people have helped me, but they all eventually decided that I was too much work or too dangerous."

"Your not too dangerous, America." I tell her firmly.

She shoots me a wet smile. "Thank you..."

I clear my throat slightly. "I can't pretend that I'm an expert in this multiverse stuff. But I can help you to try and control your powers if you would like?"

She looks up at me in shock. "Really?!"

I chuckle at her surprised expression. "If you would be okay with that?"

Instead of answering, America jumps up from her seat, crashing into me and wincing slightly at the pain in her arm.

I'm in shock for a few seconds at the sudden display of affection, before I quickly recover, wrapping my arms around the girl, careful to avoid holding her arm to much.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" America whispers repeatedly into my ear, making a tear slip down my cheek.

"Don't mention it, sweetheart." I breathe in a deep breath, realising that this was the first hug I've had since I said goodbye to my boys...

Eventually we both pull away, and America immediately grabs her hot chocolate with her good arm, finishing off the mug and hiccuping after.

"So you have magic too, right?" America asks, already a lot more confident now she doesn't think I'm going to throw her out.

"Yes. I don't know how to really describe it, but I guess it's like energy manipulation." I describe, using my powers to take our empty mugs into the kitchen.

America watches with her mouth wide open. "Awesome!" She cheers, looking at my powers in wonder.

It makes a warm feeling run though me when someone isn't afraid of my powers like so many others. But then again they have the right to be after what I've done...

"Anyway. It's late, would you like me to show you to the spare room?" I'm not really sure why I had a spare room, it's not like I had any visitors here, but just having it made me hopeful that someday my boys could sleep there.

America nods, letting out a yawn.

I place a hand on America's back, leading her into the room which was across the hall from mine.

I help the girl to pull the covers back and take off her sling.

"If you need anything, I'm just across the hall." I point to the door standing opposite to this one.

America nods, laying down in the soft bedding with a comforting sigh of relief.

On instinct I let my hand brush over her forehead. "Goodnight, sweetheart."

She smiles sleepily, immediately falling into a deep sleep.

I stay there for a few minutes, just watching the girl sleep peacefully. A lot has happened in the past hour.

Once I'm sure that America was sleeping soundly, I silently leave the guest room, padding across the hall into my own.

I let my thoughts run free as I get ready for bed.

Someone is hunting this girl for her powers. But who? Is she going to stay here? Will she even want to stay here? How does she travel through the multiverse?

All these questions fly around my brain, all ending with unclear answers.

I get into bed, the covers feeling empty and cold as usual, but the ever present sadness looming over me isn't so intense. Maybe having America here is a good thing for both of us.