A Christmas Miracle

Start from the beginning

"I thought we should touch base again, you and I, after that unfortunate incident last week."

"Papa," Samantha started, "you already apologized for that and I forgave you. I know you're stressed."

"That still doesn't give me the right to snap at you," Richard responded, still feeling horribly guilty for making his granddaughter feel inferior. "We've never had a fight before and I didn't particularly enjoy it."

"Me either," Samantha pouted before sticking out her hand. "No more fights?"

"No more fights," Richard shook his granddaughter's hand. "Oh, and there's one more thing I wanted to tell you."

"Yes?"

"I thought about what you said, how I shouldn't let work rule my life," Richard started, Samantha nodding along. "I have decided to retire."

"What?!" Samantha screeched. "Papa that's not what I meant--"

"I want to spend the rest of my days with my granddaughter and my wife," Richard said, effectively silencing her. "You were right. Family is more important than work and I plan not to waste a second of it."

"Really?"

"Really," Richard smiled before adding. "And remember don't--"

"Don't tell your grandmother," Samantha nodded. "I know the drill."

~:~

When Samantha's grandparents told her they would be spending Christmas at Lorelai's Inn, the Gilmore girl was not pleased. However, when they not so subtly hinted that her father and Jess would be there, that lightened the load quite a bit. And when they added that Sookie would be there she was convinced. So that's how they got to where they are now.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Samantha asked her grandparents as they were about to enter the Independence Inn.

"Of course, dear," Emily patted her arm reassuringly.

"We're going to be there the whole time," Richard added before Emily spoke up again.

"As will your father, Jess, Sookie--"

"Okay," Samantha laughed as they stepped inside, "I got it."

The youngest Gilmore took her jacket off and hung it on the rack to reveal a beautiful knee-length red Christmas dress with ruffled sleeves. She straightened out the soft material before following her grandparents over to the twin terrors. Her feeling of dread turned into one of delight when she spotted her cousin in the corner looking at a painting. When he saw her he waved her over, causing the girl to open her arms for a hug before going over to him.

Unfortunately, Lorelai and Rory didn't see Jess behind them, so when their long-lost family member came running toward them with open arms they immediately returned the gesture. Both of the Lorelai's faces dropped when Samantha went right past them and crashed into her cousin. They watched as the 12-year-old hugged the teenager tightly, the boy letting out an annoyed groan as she refused to let go of him before slowly reciprocating the embrace. When Samantha looked over the brunette's shoulder to see her father she finally let go of him, the boy sighing in relief, before rushing toward Luke.

"Merry Christmas," Samantha yelled as she practically tackled her dad in a hug. The blond let out a squeal when he spun her around before putting her down.

"Merry Christmas, kiddo."

~:~

When Samantha heard there were going to be horse-drawn carriages she knew that she would have to be a part of that. Unfortunately, it was two per sleigh and her grandparents were riding together. So she did what any sensible woman would do. She found out which carriage they were riding in and hopped on the floorboard, covering herself up with a blanket, before anyone could notice. What? Did people really expect a 12-year-old not to go to extreme lengths to ensure a carriage ride on Christmas? Once she was sure the sleigh was moving the blond decided to make her presence known, obviously, she was low-key about it.