Always in last place

Start from the beginning

The kids ran up the stairs after the couple, all of their eyes widening in horror when they realized the angry duo was coming back down the stairs. "Go, go go!" Samantha shooed Archie and Lucy back down the stairs.

"Wait, the popcorn!" Archie pointed at the bowl sitting on one of the steps. Samantha huffed, looking between her grandparents and the bowl, before hastily grabbing the popcorn. Realizing that they were almost at her spot, the 12-year-old clutched the bowl to her chest before hopping over the railing and onto the nearest couch.

"AH!"

Lorelai and Rory cupped their hands over their mouth as the girl bounced off the couch before going back over to her friends. "I saved the popcorn!"

"Good work Samantha," Lucy patted her shoulder before they all sat criss-cross in front of the banister.

"The Hartford Zoological Silent Auction. The Mark Twain Restoration Fund Luncheon, The Harriet Beecher Stone Literacy Auction..." Emily listed off random originations that no one knew about or understood.

"I can read those myself, you know," Richard plucked the cards out of her hand.

"Ha!" Samantha snorted. "Papa's sassy tonight."

"This is the fourth event you've taken upon yourself to turn down on our behalf," Emily wagged her finger at him. "I am on the board of those foundations. How does that make me look?"

"She has a point," Lucy commented, Samantha and Archie, nodding along.

"Like your husband is busy and has a great deal of responsibility," Richard stated.

"Well, I have responsibilities, too," Emily yanked her cards out of his grasp.

"I understand your social engagements–" Richard started, making Samantha cringe.

"They're not just social engagements." Emily threw her head back in exasperation.

"Anything at which you serve tea is a social engagement," Richard stated, making Emily scowl at him.

"I am going to get a tape recorder so you can hear how pompous and condescending you sound," Emily marched up the stairs. "I wouldn't want you to take my word for it. I might be delirious from all that tea I've been drinking."

Samantha let out a loud laugh at her grandmother's last sentence as the pair went up the stairs again. "Oh, this is the best TV Show I've ever watched!"

"Way better than clueless," Lucy added.

"Ha!" Archie pointed his finger at her. "I knew it!"

"Shut up Archfiend–oh, incoming!"

"Get that out of my face!" Richard scolded as he stomped down the stairs, Emily right behind him holding a tape recorder. "You're behaving like a child."

"Say the tea thing again," Emily insisted as they got to the last step. Archie, Lucy, and Samantha's eyes widened into saucers when they realized they were about to be run over. The Gilmore girl grabbed both of her friend's sleeves before dragging them to the side. Unfortunately, they forgot their snacks.

"No, the popcorn!" Archie pointed at the kernels that Samantha's grandparents just crushed.

"Turn around when you talk," Emily continued as they passed the kids, not even seeing them as they were too invested in their fight. "I'm not sure how good the microphone works on this thing."

The older woman furrowed her eyebrows when Richard stopped in his tracks. "What–oh."

Emily pursed her lips when she saw Lorelai and Rory in front of them, amused expressions adorning both their faces.