No second chances

Start from the beginning

"Speaking of the trip," Emily clapped her hands together. "I want to know everything! How were the hotels? Did you sleep well? Did the Browns take good enough care of you? Did you wear sunscreen? Did--"

"Grandmary," Samantha laughed as she held a hand up. "One question at a time, please."

"Right," Emily nodded. "Did you take any pictures?"

"Oh!" Lorelai butted in excitedly, her daughter completely ignoring her. "I want to see pictures!"

Samantha didn't even spare her a glance as she answered her grandmother. "Yes, Grandmary. Archie, Lucy, and I made a slideshow. I'll go set it up."

Lorelai pouted as the girl walked away before turning to her parents, "What's up with her?"

Emily and Richard exchanged incredulous glances before the former said, "Surely you aren't that stupid, Lorelai."

"What are you talking about?" Lorelai threw her hands up. "And why does everyone keep looking at me like I'm an idiot, today?"

"Not just today," Archibald coughed as he took her plate, making the brunette glare at him.

Lorelai turned back to her mother. "I thought Samantha and I were making progress. Now it seems like it's just gotten worse. She won't even look at me."

"Lorelai," Emily started as she clasped her hands together and looked at her daughter. "You made a very big mistake not once but twice, hurting the same person, and that person is Samantha."

"What did I do though? I don't understand," Lorelai exclaimed as she exchanged a glance with her oldest daughter.

"She won't talk to me either, grandma," Rory started. "We don't know what we did wrong."

"Do you remember when you asked Samantha to be your bridesmaid, Lorelai? And you, Rory, encouraged her to do it?" Emily questioned, making the mother-daughter duo furrow their eyebrows.

"Yes?"

"And when the wedding was off who was the one person that you didn't tell yourselves?" Emily inquired, making Lorelai and Rory's eyes widen in horror.

"Oh my gosh," Lorelai muttered as she put her head in her hands.

"We are terrible people," Rory stressed as she ran a hand through her hair.

"You not only left her once, Lorelai but twice. And once again you took Rory with you and left Samantha behind. How do you think that made her feel? How do you think it made me feel to have to tell my 11-year-old granddaughter that her mother and sister abandoned her again?"

"I feel awful. I have to make it up to her," Lorelai stated, making Emily shake her head.

"Do you really think she'll let you make it up to her? I wouldn't. We call her stubborn Samantha for a reason, you know," Emily remarked before continuing. "She gave you a second chance, both of you, and you blew it. I'm afraid your selfishness, this time Lorelai, has done irreparable damage."

"It's been just me and Rory for so long," Lorelai tried to justify her actions as she looked down at the table. "I didn't even think about her."

"That was obvious to both Samantha and me."

~:~

"Grandmary, Papa, Archibald!" Samantha called as she put her DVD in the disk player. "I've got my slideshow set up."

"I brought popcorn," the butler announced as he came in and sat beside the 12-year-old, slapping her hand away when she tried to take a handful. "For me, not for you."