Thomas was taken aback by the directness and even the sincerity of his speech. It was as if the primary concern is the welfare if the citizens of Panem, when nothing could be further from the truth. Thomas wasn't sure how he dared say the next words, but he does.

"It must be very fragile, if a handful of berries can bring it down."

There was a long pause, and Thomas could feel his eyes tearing him apart. Then he simply said, "It is fragile, but not in the way you suppose." There was a knock on the door and the Capitol man stuck his head in. "His mother wants to know if you want tea." he said.

"I would like tea." said the president. The door opened wider, and there stood his mother, holding a tray with the China tea set that she had brought to the Seam when she married. "Set it here please." He moved the book to the corner of the desk and patted the middle. His mother set the tray on the desk. It held a china teapot and cups, cream, and sugar, and a plate of cookies. They were beautifully decorated and iced with soft colored flowers. The frosting work could only be Newt's.

"What a welcome sight. You know, it's funny how often people forget that presidents need to eat too." President Janson said charmingly. It seemed to relax his mother a bit, at least.

"Can I get you anything else? I can cook you something more substantial if you're hungry." she offered.

"No, this is perfect. Thank you." he said, clearly dismissing her. His mother nodded, and shot him a look, and then left. President Janson poured tea for both of them and filled his with cream and sugar. He took a long time to stir and Thomas sensed that he had his say and was waiting for him to respond.

"I didn't mean to start any uprisings." Thomas said.

"I believe you. It doesn't matter. Your stylist turned out to be prophetic in his wardrobe choice. Thomas Everdeen. You have provided a spark that, if left unattended, may grow into an inferno that destroys Panem."

"Why don't you just kill me now?" Thomas asked.

"Publicly? That would only add fuel to the flames."

"Then arrange an accident." he said.

"Who would buy it?" he asked. "Not you, if you were watching."

"Then just tell me what to do, and I'll do it." Thomas said.

"If only it were that easy." He picked up one of the flower cookies and examines it. "Lovely, did your mother make them?"

"Newt." Thomas said. He reached for his tea but sets it back down when he heard the cup rattling against the saucer. He took a cookie to cover himself.

"Newt. How is the love of your life?" He asked.

"Good." Thomas replied.

"At what point did he realize the exact degree of your indifference?" he asked, dipping his cookie in his tea.

"I'm not indifferent." Thomas said. He wasn't. He knew how he felt for Newt, well, mostly. He also knew that he wasn't keen on letting the whole world into his personal life.

"But perhaps you are not as taken with him as you would have the country believe." He said.

"Who says I'm not?" Thomas asked.

"I do." he answered quickly. "And I wouldn't be here if I were the only person who had doubts. How's the beautiful cousin?"

"I don't know... I don't..." His revulsion at this conversation, at discussing the feelings of two of the people he cared most about with President Janson, choked him off.