Building bridges and breaking them

Start from the beginning

"Yes," Lucy answered, enjoying her brother's horrified expression before Samantha playfully nudged her shoulder.

"Just because most girls do it doesn't mean guys can't," the small brunette shook her head before continuing. "Just like how girls can do anything a guy can do."

"But my fingernails have glitter on them!" Archie complained, completely missing the point. Samantha rolled her eyes before turning back to her best friend.

"Leave the pinky," Lucy instructed as Samantha began to get her nail polish out, making the brunette furrow her eyebrows.

"Why?"

"Because," Lucy grabbed the lavender polish Samantha planned to use for herself later. She pushed it into the girl's hands and wiggled her eyebrows. "I want to match you."

Samantha grinned as she took the nail polish and painted her pinky with the lavender color, unlike the snowy white the rest of her nails were. "There," she hummed before blowing on her nails gently, not wanting to smear Lucy's handiwork.

"My turn!" Lucy clapped her hands together excitedly, not noticing her brother scooting over to join the group.

"Me next!" Archie piped up, making the girls give him an amused look.

"Alright, alright. I'll double up," Samantha glanced at the Brown boy. "Archie do you want to match with us?"

Before he could answer Lucy butted in, clasping a hand on his shoulder. "Yes, he would."

"Alrighty then. Stay very still."

Archie watched Samantha's every detail as she rotated between painting his nails and Lucy's. From the way, her hair was still wet from the shower, the way the shirt she borrowed from him was so big on her that it hung off her right shoulder, exposing the freckles that dotted her skin. The small brunette bit her lower lip in concentration, not wanting to mess up.

The girl smiled slightly as she carefully painted Lucy's pinky finger white, contrasting with the rest of her lavender nails. She moved on to Archie, trying to ignore the way that she got goosebumps when she touched his hand. Samantha's grin widened as she closed the white nail polish and put it on the table. "Now we match!"

The Brown siblings giggled at the girl's enthusiasm before admiring their nails. Samantha's right hand had four white nails with a lavender pinky. Lucy had four lavender nails with a white pinky. And Archie had four blue nails with a white pinky. Samantha glanced at her friend's hands before she reached over, intertwining their pinky fingers and matching flawlessly.

"Perfect," Samantha's voice was quieter than before as she looked at their hands. "They're perfect."

~:~

"Do you think you're ever going to forgive Lorelai for leaving you?" Lucy questioned as she and Archie got ready to go back home. Both of them knew better than to call her Samantha's mother. Archie looked up curiously, also wanting to know the answer as the Gilmore girl froze slightly.

"I don't think so," Samantha shook her head. "She just... she really, really hurt me. And it's not just her abandoning me that I'm angry about. It's everything! She took away my chance at knowing my father and my sister, and she doesn't even care." The girl paused before admitting, "I'm really scared for when I move to Stars Hollow. How on earth am I going to avoid her in her own town? She probably has evil little minions to spy on me or--"

"Okay, let's not get ahead of ourselves," Lucy cut her off as she grasped her friend's shoulders. "Think of the positive! You get to spend time with your dad and you get to see that chef you love so much. What's her name... Susan?"