𝗏𝗂. 𝗂 𝗅𝗂𝗄𝖾 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗌𝗈 𝗆𝗎𝖼𝗁 𝖻𝖾𝗍𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗐𝗁𝖾𝗇 𝗒𝗈𝗎'𝗋𝖾 𝗇𝖺𝗄𝖾𝖽

Start from the beginning

       "You would choose Izzie, right? Because you two are gonna get back together." Meredith said looking at Alex.

      "Shut up." Alex answered.

       "Wait, why do you have to choose?" Jackson asked.

       "That doesn't matter. You just do. Which is it, surgery or love?" Cristina asked.

      "I want both." Jackson announced as he glanced over at Madelaine seeing her smile a bit while taking a bite of her sandwich to cover up the fact she was smiling.

      "That's what I said." Meredith added.

      "You can't have both." Cristina stated once again, while Jackson threw his hands up in the air.

       "Why the hell not?" He asked.

       "Why the hell is he here?" Cristina asked while pointing at Jackson who just smiled as he took a bite of his carrot stick.

       "I said he could be in here, same with Mads since they're in the Whipple, too." Meredith explained as she continued working on the corpse.

      "Okay, whatever." Cristina said quietly, before continuing louder. "Once again, you cannot have both. You have to choose."

      "Choose what?" Izzie asked, as she entered the room, but when she realized it all got quiet everything got awkward.

      "Well this just got awkward." Madelaine mumbled under her breath.

      "My... my PET scan got pushed back an hour. So I thought I'd join you for lunch." Izzie informed them as she walked further into the room with her tray of food in her hands.

      That was when Izzie sat down next to Cristina and across from Alex. Cristina than stood up and pointed at Meredith, who was standing behind Alex, still going through with her procedure. "Okay, that. You have to give up that. Learning the procedure, tuning out the world until you get it, like, you know, doing the procedure is the only thing that matters, like if you don't get to do it, you'll die. That's what you have to give up."

       "For what?" Izzie asked.

       "Love." Everyone in the room said in unison.

       "Why?"

       Jackson laughed. "Yeah, that's what I said."

      "That's not the point! You know you couldn't do it. You know you'd choose the procedure." Cristina says.

      "Fine," Meredith replied. "If I had to choose, gun to my head, I would choose surgery, okay?"

      "Okay, well, thank you." Cristina called out happily. "Is that so hard to say? I don't know, why is it so hard to say to that out loud?"

      "Because it's crazy." Izzie says, which makes Madelaine turn to face her.

      "How?" Cristina asked, turning to face Izzie confused.

     "It's crazy. Surgery, it's just a job. It's just a job. It's the thing you come home from, not the thing you come home to. And if you lose your job, you get another one. 'Cause there's always another one. But... If you lose your love... if you think you're losing your love... well, then suddenly, nothing else matters." Izzie explained as a sad and quiet tension started to fill the room which shortly ended when Jackson spoke up.