Bet on Love

Chapter 1: The New Kid

Bella's POV

I awoke to the sound of my alarm clock beeping. I groggily turned over in bed to check the time. 7:45, shit! I'm going to be late! I quickly hopped out of bed and dashed to my closet, desperatly searching for something, anything to wear. After shortly scanning all my shirts, I just pick a plain white vneck and some jean shorts. I went into the bathroom and quickly ran a brush through my long, straight brown hair. There was no time for makeup, not that it made such a difference to my appearence anyway. I swiped on some lipgloss and spritzed on some perfume, and headed out the door. I made my way down to the kitchen, where my older brother Sean was already ready to leave. 

"Bella! You have got to stop sleeping through your alarm clock, we've been nearly late everyday for the past week! Now grab your breakfast and shoes and lets go already!" Sean said, out of breath and halfway out the door. 

"Okay, okay. Wait up!!" I called to my 18 year old brother, rolling my eyes. He revved the engine as if he were going to leave me. I grabbed a granola bar and quickly slid on a pair of old beat up vans and was out the door in less then a minute.

"Finally!" Sean exclamed, dragging out the word. He was pulling out of the driveway before I could even buckle my seatbelt, speeding like a maniac. What he was in such a rush for I have no idea. I, for one, was in no rush to get to chool that morning, on account it was our new day at a new school. Some people say that being the new kid isn't so bad, because everyone is infatuated with you and learning all about you. I would have to disagree with all of that. I had a small group of girlfriends at my old, but that was it. I was they shy type of person, I loved to read books and listen to music, and no one was in a rush to invite me to their parties or ask me to the homecoming dance. Sean felt differently about being the new kid, though.

"I'm so excited, Bel. I can feel it. This is my senior year of high school, the last time I'll ever have to walk these halls. I'm totally changing my image. I'm no longer the quiet invisible kid who sits at the back of the room. Nope. I'm going to be popular for my last year of high school. What about you, Bel? Are you gonna change anything?"

"Nope. I, for one, like being invisible. I don't bother anyone and they don't bother me. Thats just the way I like it. Besides, having a huge social life would probably impact my grades, and you know I need that scholarship to get into the art school I want to go to out of state." I replied, ending with a heavy sigh. I was utterly envious of my big brother; I wish I was a senior too so I didn't have to deal with high school mext year. But nope, this was my juniour year, so after this I still had another year to go. 

"Bella. You've gotten all A's ever since I can remember. This is your junior year. You should really get out there, have some fun. Go to the football games and the school dances. This is your chance to totally change your image. New school; new people. Just give it a chance." Sean said with a shrug. I opened my mouth to reply, but I couldn't think of anything to say. Besides, nothing he said could convinve me. I liked being unpopular and unnoticed. All I need was 2 or 3 girl friends, and a good book to read. 

I felt the car lurch to a stop, wheels squeaking. I let out a shaky nervous breatha dn closed my eyes for a minute, thinking about my old school surrounded with all the people I knew. I guess I lost track of time reminiscing, because I heard a loud know on the window next to me. I saw Sean right outside the window.

"Well? You coming or are you just gonna stay in my car the whole day? C'mon, Bels. It's now or never." He said to me, using the phrase our dad always used to say to us before each new school year. Before.. we lost him. Thinking about how I would never get to hear him speak those words to me again brimmed my eyes with tears, but I didn't let them fall. I opened the car and stepped out, taking one deep breath after another. I can do this, I thought to myself.