10 October Cont. - Conclusion: Attachment Severed

Start from the beginning

I sighed, gaze lingering on the fence. Despite Jackson's words, the idea of traversing a tunnel of death unnerved me. I cracked my knuckles and stood from the car. Stomping towards the fence, I grasped the links and began to climb.

Jackson snickered, mumbling beneath his breath, "That's what I thought."

Over the fence and on the other side, I waited as Jackson tossed his bags to me and followed. I stumbled from the weight of his items landing in my arms, wondering how he made carrying them look so easy. They seemed heavier than cement blocks. Sweat poured across my temple as my arms trembled. Once on stable ground, Jackson retrieved his bags and the weight of the world lifted from my shoulders. I panted, arms dangling by my sides. Jackson arched a brow.

"Was that really too much for you?" He pursed his lips. "Shit, you're worse than I thought."

He sighed, pivoting towards Riverhaven's doors.

"Wait . . . what is that supposed to mean?" I questioned, softly to myself, as I trailed behind.

Though I couldn't see Jackson's expression, I knew my, thought to be silent, comment amused him. The faintest snickering danced in the wind. Short-lived, it disappeared beneath his strengthening resolve. The way he moved, every determined stride, swelled confidence. His jet black hair swayed, strands thicker than thread and dotted by crystal-like water droplets. Mesmerized, I extended my fingers outward, almost pawing a lock.

Jackson glanced over his shoulder. Tender compassion danced against his emerald irises as he smiled. Lifting his free arm, he motioned for me to take it. Taking a deep breath, I locked my arm with his.

"You're cute, Ally," he whispered. "Don't fret. We can handle this. I won't let you falter."

His strength encouraged mine and I held my head high. Together, we walked closer towards the entrance and mounted the massive front steps.

The enormous bat-winged building stretched an eternity on either side, its ends disappearing into pools of darkness. Delicate iron grating, suspended above the archway leading to the landing, displayed a name long faded from society's memory: Riverhaven Sanatorium. Its bold black lettering appeared to decompose the longer I gazed. The metal glinted, ever so slightly, as we approached before paling into a dingy red. Trickles of rust veined, blood to my wary eyes.

Additional 'no trespassing' signs lined the ancient oak double doors, noticeable only after passing beneath the arch. Jackson slipped from my embrace, reaching for the ornate bronze knobs.

"The vibe really changes once you get up here," I mumbled.

"Does it?" Jackson questioned, pausing to glance my way.

The playful smirk upon his lips symbolized his agreement, though I continued voicing my thoughts, regardless.

"Yeah. All the creepy feelings you get when you first see the place just seem to vanish. And, then, there's this heavy pressure. This . . . overwhelming sadness."

I rubbed my arms as my body trembled. Jackson shrugged, opening the door. The hinges wailed as it swung inward, causing my nose to crinkle.

"Well, that was very . . . welcoming." Jackson chuckled, stepping inside.

I groaned, shoulders slumping, and followed directly behind.

Once entering the belly of the beast, Jackson increased pace. The same determination I'd witnessed outside flowed through him, tenfold. Shoulders tight and head straight, a mysterious energy radiated from his body, tingling my skin. Jackson was prepared for war.

Reaching into his messenger bag, he retrieved his audio recorder and clicked it on.

"This is . . . ," he paused, licking his lips, "this is the second Riverhaven investigation."