24 - 𝚂𝚗𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙵𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚜

Start from the beginning

Nanami sighed, lips tugging into a derisive smile. "Are you serious, senpai?"

"Don't misunderstand my intentions, please... Haibara is just as dear to me as you are. I'm just worried about you," I immediately clarified before it turned towards something worse. It might have been too soon to ask, I could only blame myself for not thinking straight.

His gaze softened, tenseness leaving his shoulders. Nanami looked back at me, shaking his head.

"Thank you for thinking about me, senpai. Haibara didn't deserve to die, but what he doesn't deserve more is to be forgotten. I won't give him any more misfortune by turning his memories away, too."

Damn it.

"I'm sorry, Nanami," I breathed through sobs, hiding my face with the blanket, tears soaking up the soft fabric. I couldn't set my emotions straight, not even knowing which part of me was hurting more.

"Senpai, please get some rest and recover soon. I will visit again tomorrow. Thank you for listening."

No one's there to tease him anymore for being soft around me.

"Nanami, get rest too."

"I will."

──❍──

"How long has she been out?," Satoru asked.

"Since 2 pm. Kamo-san told me not to tell sensei, so I just watched over her." I could hear Suguru replying.

"What happened to her?"

"I'm not even sure. We were talking a while ago, then she suddenly said she felt sick and wanted to go back to her room. I figured it's because of what happened to Haibara," Suguru narrated.

So he's really forgotten.

I couldn't really tell how they looked, but I was glad he sounded clueless about our conversation earlier.

"Suguru."

The other person replied a soft hum.

"I don't know what's wrong but I'm here. You can choose not to talk, I'll still be here."

I tried not to react, knowing well enough that I would make it awkward if they found out I was awake.

"You're...improving so fast, Satoru."

I was right.

Aside from what happened to Riko, Suguru was also feeling insecure of his best friend's sudden growth. I inwardly prayed Satoru wouldn't insert any of his nonsensical and insensitive jokes while Suguru was obviously in the serious state of inner conflict.

"What do you mean? Of course I have to improve. I still want to continue fighting alongside you," Satoru answered as if it was the most obvious thing ever.

"What...?"

"Why do you look so surprised? You're the one who said we're the strongest. I wanna improve so I can continue being the strongest with you," Satoru stated casually. There was no hint of sugarcoating, no sarcasm. It was just him stating his personal facts. "Man, this is cheesy. What's even bothering you?"