Chapter 23: To Live

Start from the beginning

The countless arrows faced Nezuko at once, quivering with their murderous intent.

——The scale at which the demon deployed his Arrow spells was much smaller compared to earlier, when he went on a rampage with the massive Crimson Arrows, obliterating the interior of the warehouse and easily overpowering both Nezuko and Yushiro.

——After such an outburst of power, it appeared that Yahaba was depleted of his full strength... despite being a demon, a creature with a supposedly infinite life-force.

Even yet, the twenty-or-so Crimson Arrows he had conjured around him seemed more than enough to overpower a human girl, who was both heavily injured and unarmed.

Nezuko glanced down at herself with her shaking vision and saw her battered state; her survival instincts were sending danger signals to her brain as she forcefully continued the Total Concentration breathing technique.

Despite the heavy suffocation, despite being able to feel the last of her strength being sapped away from maintaining the breathing technique, she didn't stop....

...because she knew that if she did, the thin thread holding together her consciousness would snap, just like that.

———Nezuko slowly clasped her jaws, grinding her teeth together.

"...............why...?"

Tasting blood in her mouth even as she spoke, Nezuko glared up towards the demon—— her eyes that were half-hidden behind her medium-length hair messily thrown over her face fixated onto the oncoming threat in front of her.

"———just why... are you demons..."

"———so selfish?"

"..............?"

—Even in his fuming rage, Yahaba still appeared to hold a degree of pride as an intelligent demon.

The demon furrowed his brows slightly as he faltered in his steps, having been directed with an unanticipated question.

Nezuko saw the demon's confused expression... and felt her deep irritation grow even more.

She turned her gaze towards Yahaba's short black hair, pale skin, and neat kimono attire, which were roughened and dirtied all over... even then, his body itself was totally unscathed as a result of his demonic healing factor.

That fact weighed down in her heart with a powerful squeezing sensation.