➛⠀𝟭𝟳 | 𝗧𝗢𝗣𝗛𝗘𝗥'𝗦 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗙𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗜𝗢𝗡

Start from the beginning

Nico shut the door and crossed her arms, her gaze fixed on Topher. Topher chuckled as he looked at Nico. "So that's why you were so friendly in the car." He came to his conclusion. You were met with Topher's stare. "And you deceived me."

Topher attempted to steal the vial from your grip, but you used your powers to shove him away. Topher bit his lower lip in annoyance but feigned it with a smile and a strangled laugh. "I'm just playing."

"And we're not," Nico replied sternly. "That's the reason why your eyes turn yellow, huh?"

Topher lightly brushed his finger through his nose. "Is that mine, or are you two finally ready to share?"

"We're finally ready for the truth." You replied quickly as you pushed yourself away from Nico's desk and avoided Topher so he wouldn't snatch the vial away from you. "You're nothing like Molly. Oh, and I'm keeping the strawberries to myself. I'd rather give it to Alex and the others to share."

Nico returned her gaze to Topher after taking the vial from your hand. "You get high off this stuff, don't you?" She asked. "So what is this? And where the hell did you get it?"

You brought your finger up and smiled. "Wait." You said. "Let's make him confess in front of the others, shall we?"

You got outside while Nico led Topher out. You called your friends out from the dining room and allowed them to wait for Topher to arrive. The Runaways stood next to you as Topher sat down on the stairwell.

"Talk." You told Topher sternly.

Topher took a deep breath and nodded. "When I tell people I grew up in the suburbs, they always ask what that was like." He started talking. "And I tell 'em, it was great if you like coyotes. 'Cause, that's how my parents were. They were predators who traveled in a pack. And if they spotted any weakness, they'd tear you apart."

You folded your arms and listened attentively while Topher continued his story. "It's like they were born mean, and nothing I said or did could ever make it better. So one day, I-I ran. And never looked back."

Molly took a seat close to Topher to provide comfort. "I'm so sorry." Topher's attention was drawn to her earnest words.

Topher stifled a chuckle. "Everybody got a story, right?"

Nico nodded. "And that's a good one, but you still haven't answered my question about what's in here and why it's so important." She said as she held out the vial.

Topher moved his head to the side as he glared at Nico. "Why do you care?" He questioned. "You don't see me asking questions about your magic wand, eh?" He glanced at you. "Or your red glowing eyes and weird wiggly-woo powers." Topher turned to Chase. "Or those metal gloves One Direction here carries in his backpack. Or the dinosaur?"

You and the others exchanged glances while Topher shrugged. "Anybody wants to explain that? 'Cause I'm all ears."

"This is about our questions, okay, not yours," Alex told sternly as he crossed his arms beside you.

"And accusing us of hypocrisy is not gonna get you off the hook," Gert added. "That is called 'whataboutism' and it's a logical fallacy."

Chase nodded, agreeing with Gert. "She was on the debate team, and we're not as trusting as we used to be." He turned his head to the side to look at you, Nico, and Alex. "Also, was the One Direction thing an insult or a compliment?" He whispered.

Nico sent Chase a glare while you shrugged. "Could be both." You answered.

"If you want me to go, I'll go but—" Topher stood up and pointed the vial on Nico's hand. "I'm taking that with me." He started walking towards you, Nico, and Alex, and the three of you instinctively backed away.

Molly stood up abruptly. "No, that's not what we want." She exclaimed. When Topher looked at her and the group was silent, Molly immediately corrected herself. "Well, that's not what I want." She walked down the stairs to join Topher. "Don't leave." She pleaded. "My parents are gone, Graciela's gone. Just answer the questions, please."

Topher nodded. "Okay." He replied with a sigh. "I'm just afraid my answers are gonna let you down."

Molly raised her eyebrow. "Try me."

Topher paused for a bit before returning to the stairwell and taking a seat. "Little while after I left home, I, uh... I was digging in the trash downtown. Hungry, cold, just... wondering if I could even survive on my own."

"It was a dark and stormy night, we get it." Alex cut in with a shake of his head.

"Fast-forward to the part about this," Nico said as she held out the vial once again.

"I found one of those..." Topher raised his eyes to Molly, who stood next to Alex. "...how do you say, um... terrarios."

You and Alex turned your heads to see Molly. "A terrarium?" Molly asked. "Like, for a lizard?"

Topher nodded. "Exacto. Inside were these rocks. They were glowing." He explained. "I picked them up. And the second I did, I felt freaking incredible. Then I saw myself in the glass." He paused for a moment. "My eyes. They were yellow. I felt like I could do anything."

Topher smiled to himself when he remembered the first time he used his powers. "That rush..." He exhaled. "I went from wanting to die to just... never feeling better. And it wasn't even just me that was fuerte. Just for a minute, it..."

Molly moved by the stairs as she stared down at Topher. "Everything was right with the world." She finished, understanding what he was feeling right now.

For a brief period, you and your friends remained silent, but Gert spoke out. "That sounds like something that should require a prescription."

"Except there's nothing like it," Topher remarked. "I took those rocks, I ground them up. I've been stretching them out since then. But, as you can see, it ain't gonna last forever."

Molly furrowed her eyebrows when she remembered Topher's first few words to her. "When we first met, you told me you just came into your powers like I did." She said.

Topher deeply sighed. "Lo siento mucho, hermanita." He apologized to Molly. "I... I wanted to think that I was like you, not some..." He sighed once again. "...some dumpster-diving junkie."

Molly fixed her gaze on you and Nico. Nico returned your doubtful gaze, as you and Alex exchanged glances, and Chase and Gert shifted uneasily. Topher took the chance and spoke up. "Look. What you're holding is all I have left. Then I'll stop, en seco."

"He means 'cold turkey'." Molly translated for you and the others.

"But until then..." Topher resumed. "...por favor, what you have is the only thing that's making my life bearable. Please." He pleaded to Nico. "I won't cause any trouble. I swear."

Nico hesitated but she tossed the vial towards Topher and he, luckily, caught it. Molly smiled at Nico while Chase started speaking. "Still, you guys are like each other." He told Molly. "Yellow eyes, super strength. I mean, Topher found rocks, and so did your parents."

"Yeah, but the Hernandezes' rocks came from the dig site," Alex stated, catching Topher's attention. "They were only ever there and in the lab. So, how would they have also ended up in a lizard cage in the garbage?"

You held Alex's hand for him to stop talking when you noticed Topher's interest in Alex's first statement. Alex looked down at you and you shook your head, trying to tell him not to go into any more detail.

"I think Topher gets to stay," Molly announced. "Nico's okay with an honest junkie, and Chase and Alex want to solve a mystery." She turned to you and Gert. "(Y/n)?"

You cast a glance towards Topher, who was looking right back at you. You returned Alex's stare and nodded slowly. "I'm fine, I guess..." You muttered, but loud enough for Molly to hear. Molly faced her adoptive sister. "What about you, Gert?"

Gert looked at Molly before glancing at Topher. "I just want to know what happened to the lizard." She replied.

Nico slowly nodded. "One day at a time, right?"

All of you heard Old Lace roaring from her room. "My guard dog is watching you," Gert warned Topher.