Ch. IV

"I see, his ears eh? Good for him" the priest said

"It's not good" Dororo said, "he's gotten weaker now that he can hear"

"How so?"

"I mean, he got beat up by that ghoul that even you could kill"

The priest laughed, "well thank you"

"He'll be alright, won't he?"

"He will" (y/n) whispered, "he just needs to get used to it. This is the first time he's heard anything in all his years. It must be overwhelmingly loud for him"

The priest nodded, "he's gotten past the worst of it. We could use some medicine, if only we had any"

"I'll go find some. There's a big town across the river" Dororo volunteered

"You'd better not" the priest said, "I heard there's a war brewing. It dangerous" (y/n) looked up at him, hatred in her eyes, "seems like the Sakai clan, who rules this area, betrayed an ally. The two armies have their swords drawn. For strangers like us to go near them now would be suicidal. That's why I turned back and came across you three"

"Dang it!" Dororo huffed, "why do Samurai like to fight so much?"

"Dororo" (y/n) warned when Hyakkimaru covered his ears and turned away. The young man covered his mouth

Dororo covered his mouth in realization,"oh sorry, that was too loud huh?" He whispered

"Don't move, now. Your wounds will open up" the priest said putting his hand on Hyakkimaru's shoulder. Only to have him pull away roughly, making him move a bit closer to the female. "Oh dear. You're like a wounded beast hiding in his cave" the priest said as he grabbed on to Hyakkimaru's arm roughly, pulling it away from his ear and leaned closer, "hear this? This is a human's voice. The other sounds are the creatures in the woods, the fire, and the wind. You have to get used to it. To come out of your cave and live in this world"

Hyakkimaru pulled his hand away and pushed the man back.

"Aniki! He's hurt. Don't force him like that!" Dororo argued, lightly hitting the priest's arm, "he needs time to get used to it" he said, repeating his sisters' words

The priest looked over at the young man, who made himself into a ball. He was using one hand to cover his ear and the other to hold on to his shoulder, as if trying to get away from the man. He snuggled closer to the girl, using her to cover his other ear.

(Y/n) sighed, "I get what you're trying to do" she whispered to the priest, "any other person would've been fine, but
Hyakkimaru isn't normal. He needs time to get through this part, slowly" she said as she stared sadly at Hyakkimaru.

The priest chuckled, "looks to me like you're the only one he'll listen to at the moment"

(Y/n) blinked and after a second started to blush, "huh?"

"He's right one-san" Dororo lightly chuckled as he pointed to the man snuggling up against her lap, "he hasn't left your side, even though he's moved away from me and the priest" he said earning a flustered glare from the girl, "oh, maybe you can rock him to sleep"

"What?" The very idea of rocking a grown man to sleep...it was just off.

"No, really. The lullaby mom used to sing to us"

"A lullaby might be a good change of pace from all the loudness in the forest" the priest suggested, "you could give it a try"

(Y/n) looked uncertain for a bit then looked down to Hyakkimaru, who was still shaking lightly. She let out a sigh, "I guess I should give it a try, maybe it could help him"