Chapter 13 - Family

Start from the beginning

"Why? What is going on?" Rod asks.

"Well, turns out the scouts formed a coup d'etat. They deposed the fake king and everyone knows the truth. Yep! A true royal shitshow." Kenny says sarcastically. Rod and Historia gasp while you grin smugly, looking up at Kenny with defiant eyes.

"Tch. It's only a matter of time 'till the scouts show up. So you best get a move on." Kenny says as he glares at you.

"Very well... go take the Anti-Personnel Control Squad and defend the entrance at all costs." Rod says sternly, his gaze going back and forth between you and Kenny.

"Aw, shucks, your majesty! You sure I can't stay?? I've been dyin' to introduce you to my greatest student, Y/n! She's been so eager to reunite with you" he says as he pulls your hair again, squeezing your cheeks as he speaks.

"I cannot perform the ritual with you present, Kenny... Now please, go. I trust you... it's the only reason you're here." Rod replies.

"The feeling's mutual, your highness... Tch." Kenny says as he scoffs under his breath. He lets your hair go and walks out of the cavern.

You rise to your feet, clutching your shoulder as you stare at your father loathsomely.

"Rod... I think this is the first time we've spoken... I go by Y/n now if it's all the same to you." you spit.

"Astoria-... Y/n... I never meant for you to be in harm's way. I'm truly sorry..." Rod says sadly.

"Save it. I don't need you or your lies. The Reiss name is nothing more than a shame. Historia, let's go." you continue.

"N-no, Y/n..." Historia says softly.

"No? What the hell do you mean 'no'?" you ask, offended by your sister.

"Don't you see, Y/n? Father is our ally! He only wants what's best for humanity!" Historia cries.

"Really? Is that what you think?? What about you? If he cared about humanity, he would care about you too! He abandoned you... he sent you away to your death by making you join the scouts! How can you possibly defend him?!" you say angrily.

"You're wrong! He protected me, just like he protected you!"

"Yeah, he protected me all right... he kept me hidden away. He was so ashamed of his affair with mom that he sent me away. Then he did it to you too. Only difference is he got caught and got a say in what happened to you. It was too late for me. Alma told me everything... about my royal blood... the significance of it... Rod is using you!"

"Shut up!!!" Historia shrieks, tears welling in her eyes. You glare at her, your face twisted with anger.

"Y/n, please... Historia is here by her own will. If you so wish, you are free to go. I cannot stop you." Rod says calmly as he walks down the stairs with Historia.

"If you so much as lay a finger on her... I will gut you like the pig you are." you say threateningly.

Rod waits at the end of the stairs, holding Historia's shoulder as he looks back at you sadly. "I meant what i said... if the scouts are here, i cannot stop you if you help them. But I will not stop my goal. I'm very sorry, Y/n. i'm sorry for everything you went through... and that it had to be this way." he says empathetically.

"HIstoria, you have the right to choose your own life... but you should live a life for yourself. Not for the sake of others..." You scoff as you turn away, running towards the other end of the cave and leaving Historia behind.

Rod walks behind a pillar, retrieving a leather bag and bringing it back to the ledge. Eren remained silent, the shock from earlier rendering him speechless and motionless.

"Now, we're finally alone, Historia." Rod says as he sets the bag down.

"Father" Historia says longingly.

"This probably sounds strange... but there is a way to see your sister again... Frieda still lives on... through the memories inside of Eren. Would you like to see her again?" Rod continues.

"Yes!" Historia says, her voice barely a whisper. Rod smiles sadly and reaches inside the bag, taking out a small black box with a syringe and capsule of liquid inside it.

Eren's eyes widen and he gasps through his gag. He shouts and pulls at his restraints, remembering what his father had done to him so long ago...

"Listen up... We've got 7 people coming for us, one of them being Captain Levi. Our last altercation ended up with 12 of our own dead... they've deposed the government, so that means we're considered the fugitives now. But our situation has not changed: we fought to be MP's, then we became interior police, and now we're Kenny's elite. Dying here is more noble than surrendering. So we'll put it all on the line for Kenny's dream." Caven says proudly to the rest of the soldiers. They all position themselves on wooden planks high above ground, holding their guns and waiting for battle as Kenny walks on the ground, smiling to himself.

Levi and the others reach the church and go inside, finding a hidden hatch in the floor beneath them.

"Alright, is everyone ready?" Levi asks as he holds the latch on the floor. Everyone nods once in silence, readying their weapons. "Great... because everyone here is about to dirty their hands..."