Does Ecotourism Have A Negative Or Positive Impact On The Environment?

As a child, my grandmother and I would travel to our homeland, Nicaragua every summer. Being able to explore Nicaragua has taught me a lot about preserving our nature and economy. In order to feel like I was making a change, I researched ways to help preserve our land and came upon eco-tourism. Eco-tourism allows people to become aware of the physical landscape and cultural characteristics and was introduced as a travel concept until the late 1980s. Although many may view ecotourism as a bad thing for the economy, it can be beneficial in the long run.              

            Demand for preserving our nature and land has been rising as many have been debating about the effects of ecotourism. Some argue that ecotourism caters to the local people in the area, as well as it brings in more money for the economy. Many agree that ecotourism can be viewed as a business opportunity that creates wealth and means no harm to the environment. Eric Weiner, who is a journalist for The New York Times and writer of states, "Ecotourism is one way local people can make money off natural resources while protecting them... But it will succeed only if nature remains in a relatively pristine state." Eric goes on by further explaining that ecotourism will keep growing and it can be seen as an opportunity for the economy to grow overall as long as it remains in good condition. On the other hand, others have doubts that the money being earned from eco-industries are not going into the environment and wild-life, but into commercials. For example, Susanna Kelly-Shanker, a journalist for Curiosity Saves Travel, and author of "What is Ecotourism? The Good, The Bad, and Sustainable Ecotourism, '' explains how some companies may seek to capitalize on ecotourism, but fail to realize they are taking advantage of the environment which may result in damage to natural resources or local communities. There are many who are just like Susanna and think that companies view ecotourism as a business, basing it on the idea that it may be unsustainable, while others like Eric Weiner believe that ecotourism can develop as a business that has no intentions of causing danger or damage to the environment. The concept of ecotourism is based on traveling with the intention of preserving or conserving endangered environments, taking care of our planet, and minimizing the impact that different industries have had on said environments. In the last couple of years, there has been an increasing amount of attention on ecotourism and it is now something that many have been researching.

             Furthermore, many people believe that practicing ecotourism encourages sustainable development and raises environmental awareness. According to the article, posted by Yonature states, "As tourists visit a natural site, they form a deeper relationship with it and appreciate it better. This experience can in fact change the way they value the environment. It can encourage them to be more eco-conscious during their everyday activities." This evidence proves that ecotourism can teach travelers to be more grateful towards the environment and it can also help preserve some of the most beautiful environments on earth. People who practice ecotourism believe that connecting with nature can have positive impacts on humans, it allows people to create a deeper connection with local communities in an interactive and respectful way. Being surrounded by nature can create many positive emotions, such as calmness, joy and creativity. Nature can also be associated with lower levels of poor mental health and improving them. Exposure to nature not only helps you with emotions, but it also allows you to gain a different perspective on how you view it. Instead of harming nature, ecotourism suggests that you love and care for the planet.

                        In addition, many believe that ecotourism is beneficial for the environment if practiced in a sustainable manner. In the article, "Sustainable Tourism Needs To Be The New Normal. Here's Why," author Michelle Martin provides her readers with a variety of different perspectives on ecotourism, but she mentions that with sustainable tourism many are able to protect natural and cultural heritage. Michelle explains to her audience that with correct sustainable tourism the environment will not be impacted by the arrivals of tourists and that the local community will be advanced because of it. This goes to show that as long as people are practicing ecotourism correctly then our environment should have no damage and there would be no concerns. Michelle then goes into further explanation and states, "Unsustainable tourism is important because the alternative is unsustainable: polluted beaches full of plastic, dead coral reefs with no fish, increasing crime, unwelcoming locals or disappearing cultures and wildlife." "In order for travel to be transformative, authentic, or even memorable, it must respect the natural resources and work in partnership with communities." Without sustainable and responsible tourism it can make destinations a lot more difficult to enjoy for both the locals and tourists. This goes to show that if ecotourism isn't being practiced in a sustainable manner then it can lead to many downfalls in our environment. It is all upon the tourist and how they decide to enjoy their stay.