xiv. she was the brightest star

Start from the beginning

"YOU WERE CHEATING!"

"Am not!"

"You were!"

"No-"

"Please do enlighten me on how to cheat in tic tac toe," Kate muttered under her breath, her right eyebrow raised. As usual, Tewkesbury and Jareth are at it again: fighting over useless and simple things. "I don't know! Ask him! He's the one cheating!" The elf accused the lord, pouting and crossing his arms.

"No I'm not! I'm just good at it and you just suck!" Tewkesbury argued stubbornly, also now crossing his arms. Because of their loud voices, Tinkerbell woke up with a yawn, flying out of Jareth's pocket, "W-What's going on?"

"Children." Kate answered simply, smirking when the two glared at her, "You know how children are, Tink." Tinkerbell chuckled and smiled thankfully when the Princess passed her a berry to eat on.

"Well, we've traveled a week and a half now, Kharnia must be close. Are you ready to see your mother?" Jareth pats the empty space beside him in which Kate was more than happy to sit on, "I don't know, I feel nervous? Excited? It's been eight years since I've seen her and a lot has changed."

"You're lovely, so don't be."

Everyone turned to Tewkesbury and the Lord soon realized what he said. His ears turned pink as he stammered out an explanation, "I-I mean, K-Kate's a lovely person, isn't she? S-So it's only given that her mother is lovely too."

"Thanks, Tewky," Kate chuckled at him then breathed out heavily, "And that goes to all of you, thank you so much. I owe you guys a lot." At this, Jareth snorts loudly, "Uh, yeah you do. I deserve tons of gold after this. Tink deserves something too...oh ah! And Tewkesbury deserves a ki-"

"Jareth, are you sure we're not in Kharnia, yet?" Tewkesbury cuts him off, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he stood up to his feet towards the blinking blue light on the dark forest. The elf also stood up in pure awe, "I-I mean, I did say the maximum of our travels would be two weeks."

Kate walked from behind the two boys, placing her hands on each of their shoulders while Tinkerbell sat on Jareth's head. The Princess was in wonder, she smiled softly and glanced at her friends. "Together?"

"You couldn't have done all of this alone in the first place," Jareth laughed. Tewkesbury laughed too then lent out his hand, "It's your adventure, your majesty. Your call."

"Our adventure," Kate corrected him, placing her hand on his as they walked towards the blue light.

At first, it was awfully quiet. The four held their breath in anticipation of what was about to happen when the once small blue light exploded. They all closed their eyes and lifted their hands to protect themselves from the bright light.

"Ouh!" A woman with blonde short curly hair, puffy white dress, and a wand stumbled on her feet, giggling in a high pitch voice, "Oh Aslan, It's been so long since I've walked. This is such a new feeling, oh."

Tewkesbury and Kate exchanged bewildered looks before the Princess cleared her throat. The Good Witch of Kharnia stumbled once more before looking at the four teenagers in front of her, "My, my, now who are you cute little dearies?" Kate opened her mouth to answer but the witch lifted her index finger, giggling once again, "Oh! Oh! Let me guess! That one is Elfie, Wingie, you, my dear girl, is...oh Aslan, what an adorable couple!"