Bengali Khichdi/ Bhog Khichdi

Bengali khichdi also known as Bhaja muger dal khichuri is a delicious one-pot meal of rice, moong lentils and mixed vegetables

Bengali khichdi also known as Bhaja muger dal khichuri is a delicious one-pot meal of rice, moong lentils and mixed vegetables. This Bengali khichuri recipe is always made during Durga puja festival. It is offered as bhog to Goddess Durga along with some other Bengali delicacies. A satvik, vegan and no onion no garlic recipe.The Bengali khichdi has an addition of mixed vegetables that we generally add to like – cauliflower, green peas, potatoes, carrots etc

How to make Bengali Khichdi

1. Rinse 1 cup of basmati rice or Govind bhog rice a couple of times in fresh water. Here I have used basmati rice. But usually Govind bhog rice is used.

2. Soak the rice in enough water in a bowl for 20 to 30 minutes.

3. After 20 to 30 minutes drain the water using a colander and set the soaked rice aside.

4.  In a pan, take 1 cup moong lentils (split and husked moong dal). Roast the dal on low heat stirring often.

5.  While roasting or toasting stir moong dal often on a low heat. Continuous stirring helps the lentils to be evenly roasted.

6.   Roast till the lentils turn light golden and fragrant. You will see that the lentils will begin to change color. Once the lentils are roasted well enough, remove them from the pan and transfer to a bowl.

7.    When the lentils cool down, then rinse them in the water a couple of times. Then drain the water and set the moong lentils aside.

8.      Heat 3 tablespoons ghee or oil in a 3 litre stovetop pressure cooker

9. Add 1 inch cinnamon, 2 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf) and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds. Fry the whole spices till they splutter and become fragrant on a low heat. The cumin seeds should also crackle when frying the spices.

10. When the spices become fragrant, add 1 inch grated ginger.10. 

11. Fry for 5 to 6 seconds or till the raw aroma of the ginger goes away.

12.  Then add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing). The addition of asafoetida is optional.

13. Saute for 2 to 3 seconds on a low heat.

14. Then add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing). The addition of asafoetida is optional.

15.  Saute for 2 to 3 seconds on a low heat.

16.   Then add 2 small-sized chopped tomatoes. Also add 1 chopped green chili.

17.    Saute stirring often on medium-low heat till the tomatoes soften and become pulpy.

 18.   Add 1 to 1.5 cups chopped mixed veggies like cauliflower, potato, carrots and green peas.

19.    Stir and mix well. Saute the veggies for a minute.

20.    Then add the roasted moong dal.

 21.    Saute for 2 minutes on a low heat.

22.     Next add the soaked rice.

23.    Stir and mix the rice grains gently with the rest of the ingredients.

24.     Add ½ teaspoon sugar and salt as required

25.     Next pour 5 cups water. Stir and mix well. You can slightly alter the amount of water depending upon the consistency you prefer.

26.     Then pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles on medium to high heat.

27.      Once the pressure settles down on its own, then only open the lid of the cooker.

28.      Serve the Bengali khichdi hot or warm with baingan bhaja and some roasted papads by the side.