"-And I know your dumbass thinks I said it in a different way than what I actually mean." Jay pulled the younger out of his self-absorbed mind.

"Huh- how did you?-" Was he a mind-reader of some sort?

"C'mon, we've known each other for a couple years now. I oughta know the way you think by now." Jay side-eyed him, before reverting his attention up ahead.

Sunghoon didn't quite understand what Jay meant. Not even a twinge of a hint. He wasn't stupid, but he really hoped Jay would give him a better answer.

Jay could feel Sunghoon's gaze burning holes through him, looking over at him he decided to rearrange his seating.

He sat up facing Sunghoon better before clearing up the confusion. "When I say that, I mean I like you." He added emphasis on it, hoping the oblivious boy could understand him better.

Umber brown orbs clouded with further internal questioning. Yet a few seconds later his clouded judgment had now cleared up. His eyes widened as inner turmoil happened.

"You... you don't have to say it back y'know. Please don't pity me though." Jay breathed out, relieved to get that out of his system but also an oncoming flood of heartache on its way.

Sunghoon shook his head, hoping Jay would hear him out. "No, that's not it. I just... didn't expect that."

Jay rose an eyebrow at that statement. He knew hope wouldn't do his racing heart any good, but his heart couldn't help what it felt. Sunghoon bit his lip again, trying to recollect his thoughts.

"I like you, but I mean, I think it's different. But-bear with me- it's also a little more than- uh friendship admiration? Am I making sense?" Sunghoon could feel himself heat up out of flustered embarrassment.

He didn't want a misunderstanding to ensue over his own selfish pride. Jay stepped on his own pride and swallowed it down as he did with that thick honey he did that one time. The most Sunghoon could do was take his best friend into consideration.

And he also had a light layer of interest in what being with Jay would truly be like. He could easily say that about a few other people too, but at the same time being with Jay sounded so comfortable. Jay was definitely the safest option, and Sunghoon liked that.

Jay chuckled, startling Sunghoon into a less tense air.

"Yeah, I kinda get it."

Sunghoon smiled, not knowing what else to do or say. Luckily Jay did.

"So are we?-"

"Yes." Sunghoon replied quickly, it made Jay laugh again.

He stuck out a hand waiting for Sunghoon to take it. "Or is that too much?" He was bringing his hand back, but Sunghoon grabbed onto it.

"It's just fine." Sunghoon probably didn't know but his smile brought Jay a lot of comfort.

🖤🤍

Playing a board game Sunghoon feels it. The tension in the air along with the playfully soft eyes staring into his soul. His light smile becomes impossible to not mirror, and he can't tell if he was hallucinating or if some sort of force was dragging them closer together.

A sudden slam of the door and it was wide open, revealing Ni-Ki. "Are you guys seriously playing that? C'mon do something fun! Come play Fifa with me!"

Jay was the first to break eye contact. "Weren't you playing with Heeseung?"

"I was trying to, but Heeseung is playing with that new Nintendo switch he got! And he still won't let me borrow it!" Ni-Ki whined.