Older And Far Away

Start from the beginning

I turned to finish packing my bag.

"Wish the fates would hurry up with mine." He said sighing and shrugged. 

I could sense the emotion behind it.

"Things still off with Dawn?" I asked knowingly, stopping to look at him. 

"We hang out like normal, but we haven't really talked, I don't know what to do or say."  He told me honestly making me frown, feeling bad for my little brother. 

"I'm sorry." I told him. "The only thing I can say is patience she's probably going through the same mixed feelings as you are, she's confused."

"Like I'm not?" 

"She has a lot more riding on it than you do Nicky" I told him lightly. "If she's not your mate then all the things you did, all the effort and love you put into it will be for nothing and Dawn will be the one hurt she doesn't understand our world so it's harder on her."

"So, then what do I do?"

"Like I said be patient." I told him crossing my arms. "I know you want Dawn to be yours, but this isn't something you can force, so give her some space."

He frowned.

"I'm not saying you have to stop hanging out." I said knowingly. "But until you know for sure that she is your mate, maybe don't be so close for now, Dawn's a fourteen-year-old human girl, most girls that age are sensitive and going through things, I remember when I was fourteen going through all those emotions." 

"I'm so glad I'm not a girl." He said jokingly making me look at him raising an eyebrow. "I don't think I'll ever understand you." 

"And you think men aren't confusing?" I asked retorting earning a grin. 

We picked up our bags and headed to the door and walked out. I turned closing the door behind us and locked it before walking down the front steps stopping on the sidewalk. 

"Okay well we should get going then." I told him earning a smile. We headed across the field together and kept talking back and forth about the mates in our family.  

---------------------------------------

Sitting in the magic shop Nick was manning the freezer looking bored, he only had a few customers. Anya was by the shelves dusting the statues. 

Xander, Willow and I were sitting around at the small table doing paperwork, I was checking out maps circling where the nerd squad could be and where they were while going over my party list. 

"Do you think we should set up lots of candles for Buffy's party tomorrow?" Anya asked. 

"Not if they're that horrible slug kind you keep trying to unload." I told her snarky, not looking at her. "I've gotten an earful from some of the clients with enhanced smell." 

"I don't know why people get so turned off by slug." Anya said walking past. 

"Honey slugs get turned off by slug." Xander told her. 

"Oh, actually I wanted to talk to you about that." I said glancing up at Willow.

"Slugs?" Willow asked. 

"No, the party." I told her trying to be gentle. "Tara...at the party."

Xander nodded in agreement.

"Oh." Willow muttered. 

"it's just..." Xander said quietly. "Buffy really wants her there, it seems important to her. So, we told her we'd ask you." He glanced at me wearily.