Chapter 3 - Beginnings of The Vengeful

Start from the beginning

"Woah..." Rainbow gasps.

"Guess we're not the only things thriving in the wilderness, huh?" I say, admiring the landscape in front of us.

"We really picked a great setup, huh?" Rainbow says. "I mean, there's a river right there, berries next to that..."

"And, if someone ever finds us, we can escape using the vines to climb up the trees."

"Right?!" Rainbow says, bounding through the grass, dragging me behind him. "We really got lucky!"

"So, where should we start?" I say.

"Start what?"

"Getting materials. We're gonna need wood for making stuff and having a fire, some coal and stone for torches and tools, some food..."

"Right! We should start with the wood!"

Rainbow finds a smaller tree away from the ones surrounding the cave, and starts collecting logs and sticks, me being puppeteered to do the same.

"How do you know what to get first, Sabre?" Rainbow asked me. "It's like you've done this before, or something."

"I've had to start from scratch a lot." I say. Rainbow doesn't question it.

We finish up collecting wood, and head back to the cave to drop it off before doing the next things on the list. As I'm putting away the logs, Rainbow takes a longer, thinner one and props it into the nook. It fits snugly in the rocks.

"Fits like a doorframe!" Rainbow says.

"Why's you put that there?" I say.

"Well, it'll be like a door! There's a little branch for a handle and everything! Someone might look through the entrance if they see the torches, so we needed something to keep us hidden."

"Huh. Good idea, buddy!" Rainbow lets me get up, and he walks over. "What's next on the list, chief?"

Rainbow pauses for a moment. "Maybe we should gather some food next? Getting wood took a while, and it's almost noon already."

"Or we just woke up late."

"True, true." Rainbow laughs. We go back out to the clearing, and start to gather berries and fish.

—————————————————————————————————————

[Light's POV]

As we walk through the forest, following the footprints, the Guards and I keep an eye out for any suspicious figures that might be following us. I've already let the rest of the Guards know what we were doing, as there were a few coming back from patrol while we were heading to the forest. I'm still thinking about the grave. Why would someone dig up a dead body only two days after it was buried? It doesn't make sense. Was there some kind of psycho out here or something? My thoughts are interrupted by one of the Guards.

"Sir, it seems like the thieves went much farther than the Kingdom's walls, at this rate." He says. "Do you have any ideas of how we're going to find them?"

"We're going to find where they're hiding out, then come back with more men." I answer. "It doesn't seem like a good idea to confront them right away."

"Understood, sir."

We keep walking. However, the footprint trail starts to fade, then disappears at a fork in the road. I sigh.

"Looks like the storm last night covered their tracks..." Now what? One of the Guards points at something on the ground.