"Bow." She cooed.

"Yeah, it's a rainbow." Natasha said as she put socks on her feet, the ones with grips to stop her from slipping on the hardwood floors. "And now you're ready for breakfast and Zaya."

"Zaya!" The little witch exclaimed, hurrying over to the bed to grab her stuffed bunny once Nat let her down from the changing table. She smiled at her enthusiasm for the plushie and with it under her arm the two of them headed to the kitchen.

----

Natasha put Wanda in front of the television as she set about cleaning up breakfast. She was nearly finished when Steve came in early than he usually would. She nodded at him, "Hey Steve. What's up?"

"Hey Nat." The man greeted her. "Fury is here. He wants to speak with you."

"Oh?" She dried off her hands and glanced at Wanda who was engrossed in the show on the screen. "Did he say why?"

"No, just that he was looking for you." Steve shrugged, "He's over in the labs. Do you want me to sit with Wanda while you go talk to him?"

"Yeah, sure." The Black Widow tried to sound casual but secretly she was worried about what Fury had to say. She didn't want him to ask her to go on a mission right now, not when Wanda had just begun to settle in. Still she brushed off the feeling, going over to the little, "Detka, I've got to meet someone. Steve's going to sit with you, okay?"

Wanda's concentration broke and she wrinkled her brow adorably at Nat, starting to climb off the couch, seeming to realize that it wasn't normal for the woman to be leaving her this early in the day, "I- I go wif Tasha?"

"Sorry sweetie. You have to stay here." The spy shook her head. "But I won't be long, I promise."

"Kay.." The little chewed her lower lip and Natasha grabbed a pacifier from the coffee table and slipped it into her mouth, giving the girl a reassuring smile.

"I'll be back soon." Nat said and Steve came to sit next to Wanda. The redhead left then, hearing Steve ask about the show on the television as she went.

Nat strode through the compound until she found Fury, "You wanted to see me?"

"Romanov." The former director said flatly, "I wanted to talk to you about the Maximoff girl."

The Widow tensed and she crossed her arms over herself, "What about her?"

"I understand you've become her caregiver."

If she weren't the Black Widow, Natasha would be shifting uncomfortably but instead she remained steady and unconcerned, trying to play it off, "I wouldn't say that. I've just been helping her for now until she finds a permanent caregiver. And everyone has been pitching in."

"Good." Fury said still with a pointed look, "Because we can't have a little running around here distracting from the mission. It's time for her to get settled some place where she won't be in the way."

Natasha didn't think Wanda was in the way and internally she bristled at his words. But Fury had been her superior officer for a long while and when it came to him he expected his agents to fall in line. She tried to remain calm and buy herself some time, "I can talk to her. Start to see where-"

"There is no need." Fury cut her off, "I've found someone to take over. You remember Sharon Carter from before SHIELD disbanded? She has agreed to take her on as a little. I've already sent her to the residence to meet her."

Anger and a bit of panic started to boil up in Natasha at the man's audacity, "She's little right now Fury. You can't just send her away with a stranger."

"I know that." He said with a slight roll in his eyes, "This is just a preliminary meeting. I just want to make sure you and I are on the same page, Romanov. That you'll help with the transition."

Natasha didn't answer right away. From what she remembered about Sharon she was a kind and attentive, but that didn't mean she would automatically be a good match for Wanda. And she was still feeling angry and a bit betrayed that Fury would put this into motion without discussing it with her first. She said as evenly as possible, "If it's what is best then I'll do what I can."

"Excellent." Fury clapped his hands together with finality, "I'm sure you'll be glad to get back to normal too since you're not really a caregiver."

"No sir. I'm not." Nat said, her voice devoid of emotion. "Is that all?"

"That's it." He waved her off.

"Thank you sir." Natasha clenched her jaw and turned on her heel to get away from him and the conversation they just had. She couldn't think about how it made her feel because she didn't get to have feelings or care for anyone, not after her past. Besides she had to get back and check on Wanda. She was terribly shy around new people and would need her for now.

//

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to read my book. It would mean a lot to me if you could give it a vote while you're here :) Thank you for the support. I've loved seeing it in the comments. Until next time! ~Raven