Ava let's out a loud wail of a cry, big alligator tears falling down her blush cheeks.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" Henry walks with her slowly to the couch as he holds her with one arm and rubs her back with the other.

"Shhh, it's okay, nothing is broken...I bet my brave girl is more scared than anything." He hummed and I watched in awe of him with her. I can't remember the last time I've seen my brother so gentle. 

She nodded and whispered, "yeah." Her chest was still slowly heaving as she caught her breath through the sniffles.

He set her down on the couch and her poor knees and shoulder are all bruised up, a small bump forming on her head. "Mama," she reached for me with tear filled eyes. I pulled her onto my lap as I sit onto the couch, running my hands down her back and through her messy hair. Henry hurries to get ice packs from the freezer.

"I'm sorry Ava, you gotta slow down speed racer."

She wipes her eyes and sniffles, "but I love tacos and I was excited."

I chuckle and Henry runs over to her and softly places one pack across her little knees and one on her head for her to hold.

"I get excited about tacos too, Ava." Henry let out a chuckle, his face softens as she looked up at him with a sad smile, "your Mom used to fall all the time too."

Ava laughs loudly as she looks at me, "she still does, all the time." I fake a laugh, "ha ha yeah I do. Looks like clutz is in your genetics girlfriend. So slow your roll, got it?"

She chuckled and wipes her tears again, "yeah yeah. Now let's eat tacos...see if it's worth the pain."

I look at Henry wide eyed as he laughs at her, "Ava, your a piece of work. Do you want to walk...?"

She shook her head and gave him her best puppy dog eyes, "can you carry me, Uncle Hen?"

He beams down at her, "of course little one."

Dinner was nice, Henry really taking time with Ava. It was different to see him so soft with her, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I could see she did too. As she scoops up her last chip, she looks at Henry, "Unc, since she won't tell you... Mama booked five jobs this weekend!"

He looked at me with a skeptical look, I hate that, it reminds me of dad. "Wow, that's awesome, Har. You'll be outta here before you know it."

I fought my urge to roll my eyes, "yeah, that's the plan." I don't need reminded of the goal.

He turned his attention to Ava and looked up at the clock, "Ava, you up for an Unc and Tiny night?"

She lit up like the fourth of July, "a night for me and you!? What will we do? That sounds epic Unc! Lets watch movies and eat food." She is nearly jumping from her seat as they both smile over at me.

Henry pat the table in front of him, "I got it tonight. I'll clean and we'll have some fun before bed."

I feel a rush of confusion fill my face, "Hen, you don't have to do that...you really don't." It felt odd accepting free care from anyone beyond June, but a night alone sounds amazing.