The Display

Luca and Giulia had finally graduated. It had been a grueling final year, filled with exams and projects that seemed almost never-ending. But finally - FINALLY - it was over. 

Luca had wanted to take the next train back to Portorosso as soon as he finished his last exam and walked out of the school. Giulia and Signora Rosa had stopped him, assuring him that he wouldn’t want to miss their graduation ceremony.

And after getting to walk across the stage, accept his diploma, and have a crowd full of strangers cheer for him, Luca had begrudgingly admitted that they had been right.

The next day, however, they were on the train back and arrived in the late afternoon. They were greeted by both families and - after all their happy reunions - head back to the Marcovaldo household.

After Luca began going to school, they had begun a tradition of sorts. 

Every year, when Giulia and Luca came home from Genova, the Paguros and Marcovaldos would all gather in the Marcovaldos’ courtyard and have a small party. There would be music, small gifts, and pasta. Lots and lots of pasta. 

Giulia used to joke that they were getting a headstart on training for that year’s Portorosso Cup. Sadly, they had been too old to compete for about two years now. As much as she loved the race, Giulia refused to try and lie about her age or break the rules. “I will not be like that idiota Ercole,” she’d sniffed.

Afterwards, Luca and the Marcovaldo siblings would spend the night in their hideout, staring up at the stars and talking long into the night.

The party was in full swing now. Most of the food had been eaten and gifts had been opened. Giulia had actually squealed when she unwrapped the pearl necklace and earrings she’d received. The Paguros had gathered the pearls and Massimo had commissioned the local jeweler to string and fasten them. Luca had been similarly ecstatic about the telescope that Alberto had carried out of the house, still packed in its box.

Alberto’s gramophone - though he insisted on still calling it his singing lady machine - had been brought down and set up, a crooning melody floating out into the early evening. It slowly faded out, and a faster, more upbeat song began to play. As it started, Alberto’s eyes practically sparkled. He’d then proceeded to jump up from where he’d been sitting next to Luca while they read over the directions for setting up the telescope.

“Come on, Luca. You know this song!” Alberto called as he started to twist on the spot. Luca looked up from where he was sitting and started to laugh.

“Berto, what are you doing?”

“What’s it look like?”

“Well, it looks like you’re dancing, but you could just be having a seizure.” Alberto placed a hand over his heart and made a show of wincing like he’d been mortally wounded.

“Ooh, such harsh words! You hurt me, amico.” Alberto shot Luca an eager grin and did a little spin. “Come on, don’t leave a guy hanging.”

“I think I’m okay,” Luca snickered, waving off the hand that Alberto held out to him. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough to deter the other boy.

With a mischievous, Alberto turned up the volume on the gramophone and spun on his heel, striking a dramatic pose that had Luca slapping a hand over his mouth to keep from bursting out laughing. With the swell and ease of the tempo, Alberto began to shimmy across the courtyard. He over-exaggerated every step and waggled his eyebrows as he scooted closer and closer. 

When the chorus began to play again, Alberto tilted his head back and belted out the lyrics, his singing coming out as a horrible warble. Luca lost it then. He was wheezing with laughter, cackling as tears gathered in his eyes.