1 - Familiar Bliss

Start from the beginning

"Oh, okay. Samahan na kita ditong maghintay sa kanya para naman makapagkwentuhan rin tayo. Tagal na nating 'di nagkikita."

"Oo nga eh, we need to have a girls' night out sometimes. Namiss ko ang chikahan natin."

We laughed, reminiscing our campaign days in 2016. When she received a text from Issa saying na malapit na raw siya, Risa asked kung pwede kami magpicture. I said yes and we took two.

"Hi, Mama. Hi, Tita Leni, long time no see po." Issa waved as she arrived

"Hi, Issa, oo nga eh. Ingat kayo ng mama mo ha. Bond tayo soon, hopefully!" I waved back then faced Risa. Nagbeso kami and bid our good byes.

I was walking towards one of the stores inside UPTC when I received a notification on my phone. Risa tagged me in a tweet with our recent picture attached.

Bumped into VP @lenirobredo this late morning in UP Town Ctr. 2 women bloodied but unbowed. 💜💜✊

I liked her tweet and sent her a DM, thanking her and promising to meet with her soon. I turned off my phone and continued doing what I was doing earlier, now with a smile on my face I can't seem to conceal.

2021

Ding!

I looked up from the paperwork I was doing to check my phone. It was a text from Risa.

"Good morning, Leni! :) Are you free today?"

Tinignan ko 'yung schedule ko for the day and replied, "Around dinner pa. Still have work and meetings until 5 :("

"Aw, that's tiring. You want to go out for dinner mga 6 pm tonight?"

"Yeah, sure! See you later, Ris."

She texted the details of the restaurant and said na doon na lang kami magkita since it was close to the OVP naman. Ano kayang meron at naisip magdinner nito? Siguro it's urgent kasi otherwise, we would have met on a weekend para mahaba-haba ang oras namin and we can relax.

I finished my paperwork as quickly as I could para saktong 5 tapos na ako. Ayokong ma-late, nakakahiya kay Risa. Kailangan ko pa mag-ayos at mag-freshen up kasi na-haggard ako sa work.

Nakarating ako 10 minutes before 6 pm and I saw Risa sitting down at one of the tables. Ang aga niya infairness. I approached her and kissed her cheek with mine.

Nag-order kami kaagad ng food and after exchanging a few stories, I asked her kung bakit bigla siyang nagyaya. She said she had a question to ask me kaya sabi ko itanong niya na. She said, "Will you be running for president?"

"I honestly don't know." I replied, putting my head down. Sobrang bothered ako tuwing maiisip ko 'to. I know my girls didn't want me to do it at sa totoo lang gusto ko na magpahinga. Masyado akong nabugbog sa loob ng mga taong nanunungkulan ako as VP and alam ko na it will worsen if I decide to run.

"You know that if they don't agree to a unification then you have to file for candidacy, right?"

She's right. If I wanted to help the country, it's either a united opposition or ako lang. With the black propaganda na matagal nang ginagawang makinarya ng kabila against me, I didn't even know if I stood a chance.

Risa placed her hand on top of mine that was placed on the table. "Whatever you choose to do, run or not, you don't have to worry na mag-isa ka. You don't have to fear that you're alone."

Her words became my driving force. I like to think na 'yung sinabi niyang 'yun made accepting the other candidates' rejection to a united opposition  easier. Kung mag-isa ako, okay lang. Kasi gaya ng sabi ni Risa, hindi naman ako mag-isa talaga.

"Go, Leni. I'm rooting for you."

----------------

The first person I called after I was told to create a senate slate was Risa. Walang kaduda-duda that I wanted her on my team and by my side. If she ran for VP she would've been my running mate but hindi ayun ang gusto niya. Malinaw sa'kin na kung lalaban ako, kasama siya.

I called her later that night to ask for her approval. "I need allies in the Senate. I need people who will support me there. Kailangan kong nando'n ka."

"You didn't need to ask. I would've been there for you anyways, Leni." She assured.

We had a meeting the following day. She wore pink — the same color we were going to use for the campaign and I smiled. Risa may have been wearing pink now, but in my eyes, she's still the same embodiment of yellow that she always was.

In a room with people of different political colors, Risa was still yellow. Liberal party allegiance aside, looking over at her made me feel brighter, optimistic, more comfortable. She grounded me, serving as a reminder of the humble beginning of my campaign in 2016.

Risa was familiar bliss.

---------------------
Welcome back to the lipstick stains universe! <3 Syempre context muna kung pa'no ba nafall si Malens HAHAHAHA. Flashback muna para mas dama ang level of friendship at kalandian nila 😌

#LenRisaLayag 💗💜