Rory's 16th Birthday

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, dear. Now, why don't you go try on that dress I got for you, hmm?"

Samantha nodded happily before going to put on the dress. The 10-year old couldn't help but smile at her reflection in the mirror. Her grandma had really outdone herself. The frilly lavender dress fit her perfectly. It was decorated with a gorgeous floret pattern, and the outfit was topped off with a matching bow in her hair. The three Gilmore girls at the bottom of the staircase had no idea what was coming for them.

"Grandmary, look!" Samantha exclaimed as she descended the staircase.

Emily, Lorelai, and Rory all turned toward the girl, looking at her in awe as she glided down the staircase. Emily had a glowing grin on her face as Samantha came up to her. The older woman clasped her hands together and let out a radiant laugh, reserved only for her youngest granddaughter, as the girl twirled around for her.

"This gown is beautiful, Grandmary! Thank you so much!" Samantha smiled as she gave her grandmother a hug.

"It's all you, darling. You look stunning," Emily responded as she kissed the girl's head and pulled away.

Before Samantha could even notice the presence of the other two Gilmores, she was pulled into a tight hug.

"Hey, no fair. I'm the birthday girl. I should get to hug Sam first," Rory pouted as her mom squeezed the life out of the 10-year-old.

"Who's the one that gave birth 16 years ago today? Oh, that's right. It's me," Lorelai fired back, making Samantha snicker.

"You look beautiful, sweetie" Lorelai grinned as she pulled back and stroked the girl's face.

"Thank you," Samantha responded before turning to Rory.

"Hey you," she started as she wrapped her arms around the older girl, making her laugh. "It's your birthday! Yay!"

"I know! I'm getting old," Rory groaned as she hugged the younger girl.

"Yeah, I can tell," Samantha teased, making Rory playfully shove her away.

"Samantha why don't you go get your present ready for Rory," Emily piped up with a twinkle in her eyes, knowing how much Rory was going to love her present.

"Present?" Rory gasped. "What present?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out," Samantha responded, before going to the living room to prepare for her performance.

~:~

Samantha Gilmore was nervous: the kind of nervous where your palms get sweaty, your heart pounds 50 miles an hour, your muscles tighten, and you feel like you're going to throw up on the brand new white tablecloth your grandma just bought. The youngest Gilmore was a wreck. Samantha wrung her hands together as she paced back and forth in front of the piano, knowing her grandmother was going to announce it was time for her to perform any second. The girl stiffened when she felt a hand on her shoulder. Samantha relaxed slightly when she saw it was just her grandfather.

"Don't worry, dear. You're going to do wonderful," Richard reassured as he squeezed her shoulder.

"Thank you, Papa" Samantha responded appreciatively, making Richard smile and boop her nose before scurrying away to talk about insurance stuff.