XXII. 23rd December 1931 - the goodbye

Start from the beginning

"Cedrella! Where are you?"

Septimus withdrew, half laughing, and Cedrella pulled her skirt back on in the same way, working to smooth out the folds. She quickly combed her hair again and gave herself up to a final, intimate kiss.

"I'm here!" she announced as she emerged from the corner of the corridor.

She took the opportunity to replace a few stray strands of hair and introduced herself to Callidora with a big smile, a blush spreading across her entire face.

"Why was your suitcase in the middle of the corridor?"

"Oh, it was there!" she exclaimed. "I heard a bird, I thought it had broken its wing or something, so I followed it down the hall. Except I couldn't find my suitcase, so I ran around and I–"

"It's okay. The train's about to leave, hurry up!"

Luckily it wasn't Cassiopeia who had come to get her, or she would have read her mind immediately. As she headed for the exit, she looked back to see if Septimus had left yet, but she couldn't see anything. He too had to go home for Christmas, she hoped he could make it to the Hogwarts Express in time.

The two girls walked outside the castle in the usual silence. They never had much to say to each other. In fact, Cedrella often avoided any discussion with a family member, or she always ended up angry at what was being said. Cassiopeia was waiting for them on the platform, obviously very angry.

"We've delayed the whole train because of you, Cedrella!"

The girl took care to close her mind, not without difficulty. Her cousin frowned as she hit the barrier she had created.

"What were you doing?"

"She had been following a bird," Callidora replied with a look of boredom.

"A bird?"

"I thought it had broken a wing."

Cassiopeia said nothing, having no arguments. They entered under the glare of many students. The Head Boy had his arms crossed over his chest, leaning against a compartment door. He stood pensively for a moment, seeming to hesitate between taking points off his own house or uttering his favourite phrase. He opted for the second option.

"Always too much Black here."

Callidora rolled her eyes and was about to leave, when Flint called her by her first name. Her first name. And not her name. This detail shocked all three girls at the same time.

"Are you feeling okay?" Cassiopeia asked.

"Fine, Black, you and Cedrella can go. I would just like to talk to Callidora. In private."

She worried that she had done something wrong. She mentally replayed the last few weeks and found nothing to worry about. Strange. It was the first time a Head Boy had asked to speak to her. When Cassiopeia and Cedrella were far enough away, Flint closed all the compartment doors and turned to her, after carefully pleating the folds of his jacket.

"Yes?" she ventured.

"I– I wanted to ask you if you'd be up for... spending time together this holiday or– or doing something."

Oh. She hadn't expected that at all. Flint? Have a crush on her? She couldn't wait to tell Cassiopeia about this. A good laugh would be waiting for her.

"I don't know, my mother's got a full schedule for us," she replied, biting the inside of her lip to keep from laughing.

"Ah, well. But if you– well, if you're ever free, you can send me a letter so we can meet. I'll give you my address if you like."

"No!  It's ok, my father already knows it. Don't worry about it. And yes, I'll think about it if–"

"Callidora?"

She turned around, her heart shaken by so many surprises. Harfang was standing in the middle of the corridor, his face closed in obvious jealousy. What was he doing there? Why had he come all the way to the Slytherin carriage to call him by her first name? Flint tensed immediately. His suspicion was more than obvious.

"Longbottom. The Gryffindor carriage is at the back. You're in the wrong place."

"Thanks, Flint. I still know where my carriage is. I was just picking up Callidora to–"

"– a job," she completed with a forced smile.

That scene with the two suitors on either side and her in the middle was killing her.

"I'll think about it, Flint."

"You can call me Oscar."

"Yes, of course! Oscar. See you later, Oscar!"

She picked up her suitcase and turned her back on the Head Boy, a smile evident on her lips. Harfang took a little longer to take his eyes off him. Jealousy radiated from his entire being. He had understood what was happening and did not fail to express what he thought. But Callidora was not finished. When Flint was far enough away, she turned to him, lightning flashing in her eyes.

"What are you playing at?" she whispered, trying not to be noticed.

"I just came to ask you if you wanted to be with me and Asler for the trip! What did he want?"

"That's none of your business!"

"Oh, I see. So you know all my secrets, but I can't even find out what that jerk was asking you."

Callidora pinched the bridge of her nose, exasperated by this childish argument.

"Very well," she yielded. "He was asking me if we could spend some time during the holidays. "

Harfang immediately stiffened.

"You said no, I hope."

"Not exactly, no."

"What? What are you–"

But she paid no attention to what followed. She picked up her suitcase and walked into the middle of the compartments, ignoring the ball of rage and jealousy that was stirring behind her.

"Callidora! What's wrong with you?"

He had shouted so loudly that half of the Slytherins must have heard him. She cursed him silently.

"What's wrong with me?" she burst out, turning around. "Since when do I have to account to you for what I do or what I plan to do! So let me get this straight, Longbottom. Either we're something, in which case you make it clear, or we're nothing and you leave me alone!"

He took a few steps back, as if he had been slapped in the face. His eyes filled with sadness, but the little laugh he let out contradicted the least of his thoughts.

"All right, I'll leave you alone, then."

Why had she said that? Tact wasn't really her thing. The day before, she'd kissed him, and today she was acting like a first-class pest. What was her problem? It seemed that every time he was near her, her thoughts turned to chaos.

"Wait, Harfang, I– I didn't mean that. I'm sorry."

But her excuse was useless. Alone in the hallway, she closed her eyes and fought back tears. It was crazy how neither of them were good at this kind of thing. Where were they? What exactly was going on? Why did he always leave just when she was trying to change things?

She picked up her suitcase in frustration and made her way to Cassiopeia's compartment. The moment she pushed open the door, four pairs of eyes were on her.

"I think you have something to tell us."