Chapter 20: Turbulence in the Night of Asakusa (Pt. 2)

Start from the beginning

Falling into a sudden panic, Nezuko immediately grasped at her torso.... grabbing onto the black Demon Slayer uniform she was wearing. She looked down at her body with widened eyes, and saw that neither the clothes she was wearing, nor her bare skin on her hands, had any burn marks on them.

She touched her own cheek with her hands... feeling the smooth skin of her face instead of a coarse or shrivelled aftermath of a burnt flesh.

Calming her heavily beating heart, feeling numerous beads of sweat forming on her face.... she muttered.

"..........what.... was....."

——As her voice trailed off, additional memories flooded back into her head, reminding her of what had transpired before she had lost consciousness...

——Reminding her of her brother's painful scream, as he writhed at the centre of the bursting flames.

————"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh———!!!!"

"——Onii-chan!!"

Nezuko's entire body jolted violently as she released a cry that sounded almost like a scream —— calling after Tanjiro, who was nowhere in sight in this unfamiliar room.

"——ugh!?"

Her sudden movement sent a sharp pain travelling through her brain like a lightning; she let out a weak sound as she covered half of her face with her palm, while a dull ringing sounded in her hearing.......

"————Quiet down, woman."

"——!!???"

Nezuko felt as if her heart would stop; releasing a soundless exclamation, she turned her head to the side with her eyes widened to their limits..........

.......where a young man was leaning back on the wooden chair placed against the wall.

The young man — in fact, a boy seemingly around Nezuko's age — had pale green hair with black-coloured ends, and a pair of slanted lavender eyes, which were narrowed into an unhappy scowl.

He wore a white haori and dark blue hakama pants, an attire that made him look like a medical worker. In contrast, his skin was unhealthily pale, almost as pale as his own clothing... so much that he also appeared to be on the side of a hospitalised patient.

The boy was crossing his legs as he leaned back on the wooden chair, fixating his purple eyes observantly at Nezuko.

——Nezuko blinked a few times at the boy, who was sitting nonchalantly in a chair that she was sure had been empty until just seconds ago.

".....W-Who.... where, did you....."

The boy crossed his arms.

"—————haaah."

He shut his eyes and sighed loudly, expressing an obvious annoyance.

".....................!"

Nezuko's body shook in a tremor as a sudden realisation hit her.... she had to suppress her voice from letting out another sound, lest the boy would notice.

Feeling a cold sensation in her limbs.... she thought.

——This boy, in front of me.......... He's a demon.