My brother looked at me, studying, like he wanted to know more about Ava or I. I couldn't blame him really... life since my brother and I were last regularly together is still a mystery to him.

Henry never pried, not anymore. He never asked too many questions about about our lives before we came and I never shared much for a reason. I'm embarrassed of what I let my stubbornness drag me into and through, along side my sweet little girl. Henry knew better than to dig, last time he pried into our life, I hadn't talked to him for a year. Well, not by choice entirely. After all, I am the product of being the second thought of my parents and abused by the father of my child; compartmentalizing is a talent I have mastered...most days.

Corey was the best and worst accident of my life, my brother was pitching a game for the Cleveland Indians early one afternoon, and I was watching in a Pub outside of town. I'd been living in Georgia, finishing my degree in photography and business, I was a semester from finishing early.

That game, was the first no hitter my brother ever pitched and I couldn't stop talking about it as I beamed with pride around strangers. Then I met Corey, he was great with words, decent with his hands, and about as manipulative as a person can be. I was so naive and hungry to be cared for, it made me blind. That blonde hair and blue eyes, it was easy to admire him, he was beautiful.

It was one night, one drunken night where a narcissistic asshole loved the idea of hooking up with Winter's little sister. But sometimes, all it takes is that one time. He knocked me up, I'd never been more scared in my entire life. I was young and always saw the best in people, even if there wasn't a single redeemable quality to them.

I finished school, and disappeared for nearly the first two years of Ava's life, waitressing at a small diner in a tiny town, taking photos of the people for cash. I had irregular contact with my brother, he pried alot, worrying about Ava and I alone.

The owners of the diner let me bring my baby with me. The owner was this old woman called Mable that adored babies and always offered free care, it was nice having help and a friendly face around everyday. But I never let anyone get too close.

Henry knew little of my life during this time, only receiving letters and photos, maybe the occasional phone call for 15 months. My older brother was on his own path at that time, dreams can leave people in the clouds sometimes.

Then, Corey found us around the time Ava turned two and everything safe I'd felt in my life at that time was ripped away from me. I let my daughter and I fall into the clutches of someone monstrous. He quickly took hold of our life, including contact with my brother.

It took me nearly a year of strength and resilience to get away from him, I held my almost three year old and ran. See, Corey has a talent for making me feel small and incapable, belittling me until I felt incompetent all together. Then I met, June, she was our neighbor, she heard what happened the worst night of my life and she helped us escape. She joined us, ready for change herself, or that's what she said. June died of heart disease about nine months after saved our lives. There is so much inside my little spitfire that reminds me of the greatest friend I ever had, June was the hardest loss I ever experienced.

Ava smirked up at me and then over at Henry, "yeah, and Sebastian is nice. He is also really pretty." She made her waffle and peanut butter sandwich as she spoke and picked it up.

Henry looked at me with a cheeky smirk, "Sebastian mentioned giving you two a ride home. That was awfully nice of him considering he came right back out with me and the guys."

Ava pat Henry's arm, "and to the grocery store for my coco pebbles too. I think he likes Mama." She gave me her cheeky little thumb point and I ran my hands down my tired face.