Devin.

Devin ran, their footsteps echoing through the twisting and turning corridors, with only one destination in mind- the meeting room of the Council of Rebuilders. They couldn't be late- not again.

Their bag of things, hastily swung over their shoulders, flailed wildly behind them, haphazardly bouncing to and fro.

Breathlessly, they burst into the room just before the clock chimed five.

"I'm here!" They proclaimed loudly. "I'm not late!"

The others around the table sighed. Being the youngest of them all, Devin was also the most immature, and prone to recklessness. It was beyond them why Devin of all people was chosen for such a heavy responsibility.

Glancing around at their worried faces, Devin's expression changed to a confused one. "What?"

"Devin, darling..." a woman peered down at the eager face before them. "How do I put this... you can't keep turning up late like this all the time. You know how important this job is, not just for you, but for all of us..."

They bit their lip. Oops.

"Sorry," they mumbled, walking across the room to reach the table.

But as they sat down in their place, they couldn't help but wonder- why me?

---

And indeed so. Still in their late teens, Devin was the youngest Rebuilder yet. All the others were Old, all having been chosen well into their adult years.

Everyone, of couse, had demanded to know why this was so. How one who had not quite yet matured, one so young and naive, could have been chosen.

The process of choosing the Council, one of the Elders had explained, was a long and complicated one involving something about parallel universes that Devin had not paid much attention to. No, they were much too eager to get out there and start their work already.

But being the youngest came with a price. Everyone was constantly watching them, paying attention, to make sure they didn't slip up or make a mess. Devin was sure, they were all just waiting for them to screw up, and then they'd be off the Council.

It was an honour already to be on this Council, made up of only twenty odd members, and to be kicked out would be such a disgrace. And that was a Very Bad Thing.

Devin wouldn't allow that to happen. Oh no, quite the opposite of that.

---