chapter twenty eight

Start from the beginning

"It's tuna fish." A tiny voice echoed behind the group of first responders staring out onto the scene.

A young teacher tilted her head, slightly squatting to meet the little girl's eye level. "Emily. Was that your lunch?" She questioned while several eyes darted at the latter.

"Yes."

Her answered caused the 118 firefighters to share amused looks. "Why didn't you say something?" Athena asked Emily, considering all this havoc could've been prevented if the little girl spoke up. It wasn't unlikely children would refrain from speaking up on occasions like this—anything to avoid the consequences. Her parents will indeed be entertained with a phone call from the principle once everything simmers down at the school. This could mark the day where they will no longer be packing Emily tuna sandwiches for lunch.

"I don't like tuna fish. Am I under arrest?"

Finishing a conversation with the leader of the taskforce, Athena crossed paths with Josephine bidding goodbye at the students and faculty retreating to their classrooms. "That was a close one, huh?" The brunette firefighter jokingly said.

Athena scoffed in response, placing both hands on her hips. "Close is an understatement." The amount of alleged bomb threats appeared to feel never ending to the first responders in the city. Nobody knew the next target from the time to place.

"I don't even want to think what's in stored with this serial bomber." Josephine confessed as the unknown began to have everyone restless, specifically the first responders on the field. They walk into work every day unable to expect the dispatch calls they'll stumble upon. Yet, grown aware about this ordeal has them on their toes because life can thrust you into the unexpected—sometimes cause pain.

The field Sergeant nodded shortly, "Let's hope to catch him soon."

Once waving off, the firefighter trailed after the members of her team back into the firetruck. She walked next to Buck who pondered, "These false alarms are almost more nerve-wracking than the real thing."

"Don't even think that." Chimney quipped in a stern tone.

Both Hen and Josephine agreed rather not jinxing themselves. As the blond opened his mouth to respond, the lingering smell of the tuna fish sandwich hit the brunette's nostrils to her dismay. Her face scrunched up due to the horrid smell that caused her stomach to churn.

"Maybe the whole thing is a false alarm. Maybe it's over."

"Maybe, now move out the way please." Josephine practically shoved Buck from pulling the door open to hurry inside the firetruck.

The rest of the team looked bewildered at the brunette moving in a haste especially when she rushed the trio to close the doors. Her body and nose relaxed after escaping the distasteful tuna fish scent.

"You good, Josie?" Hen arched her brow, tone lace with concern. 

"Emily was right. Tuna is disgusting." 

"I'm happy to know that my famous cousin can answer my calls still. Thought you would've forgotten about me by now after going viral." Carlos teased on the line once Josephine accepted his call. He referred to the dispatch call involving the beauty influencer. Apparently, her livestream continued when they arrived and recuperate the young woman. Her fans darted their attention upon Josephine, Buck, and Eddie known as the hot firefighters.