Chapter 1: My Terrible Past

Start from the beginning

Hey, little girls, it's time to close your eyes.
Take a rest to feel your best! The sun is just setting.
You want to stay up all night, but that isn't right!
But listen, little girls, it's time.

Hey, little girls, I love you alright.
I'll give you a kiss; I won't miss! I never ever will.
You know I will love you, and this love is true.
I love you, little girls, goodnight.

My mom finished, a large smile plastered along her pale face. Atumi had fallen asleep in the maid's lap and was snoring slightly. I giggled at my younger sibling and poked her cheek gently. I heard mother laugh quietly as father stood up and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Hey, Mika. It's bedtime." He whispered, glancing at Atumi and chucking. I nodded and jumped up into his arms. "You'll tuck me in, right?" I asked, leaning my head on his shoulder. "Of course." He replied, kissing my forehead and carrying me to my room.

All I remember is falling asleep in my father's arms. When I woke, I was in my bed on the the cruise ship. Glancing out the window I saw rain streaming down the glass. You know those moments when you get eerie feelings? That's what I felt. I cautiously stepped out of bed and searched around for a pair of slippers. I then snatched a sweater of mine and wrapped it around my shoulders.

I took a deep breath and stepped out into the hallway, sneaking my way to the observation deck I sat on earlier. As the rain splashed onto my head, I was grabbed by the waist and a strong and sweaty hand covered my mouth. "Don't struggle, child, just relax." The voice muttered, sliding a hand into my sweater pocket and rummaging through the child junk I owned.

I let out a small whimper as he brought his hand under my nightgown. The man growled and slammed me to the ground. "Shut up," He hissed, pointing a meaty finger at me. "Or I'll kill you.." My heart pounded so loudly that I could hear it. The thumping sound took over my senses as the masked man whispered into a walkie-talkie with a frown. "Yeah," I heard him whisper. "The little girl has nothing." Suddenly, the man's frown turned to a smirk. "Will do, boss."

Suddenly, he through me over his shoulder and carried me off the observation deck and into a series of hallways. Just as he was planning to turn a corner, I heard a soft yet terrifying voice speak from a doorway. "Leave her alone." The voice commanded. I looked over and saw my mother's face stained with water from the rain...and possibly tears.

"Aaw, how cute. A mother protecting her daughter." He chuckled. My mom only growled at him and clenched her fists. "I'm not afraid to hurt you." She roared, the man jumping back a little. "Fine. Hit me with your best shot!"

My mom then instantly charged at him with a look of pure anger. With one swing my mom had knocked the man over and gathered me up in her arms. I stared in awe at her. "Mommy, that was awesome!" I exclaimed, looking at the unconscious man. My mother didn't smile even once. "Mika. This isn't a joke. I want you to find your sister and bring her to me. You hear?" She commanded, setting me down and looking into my eyes. "Of course." I promised, flashing her a small smile and running down the halls towards my sister's room.

I didn't even knock when I reached her door. I flung the door open and peered inside, some water blurring my vision. "Atumi?" I called. Silence. "Atumi? Are you in here?" I called again and stepped inside. I then heard snoring in the bed. There Atumi was resting peacefully. As I tapped her shoulder, she quickly woke up and whimpered. "W-who are you?" She stuttered. "It's me, Mika." I whispered in the darkness of her room. Father forgot to turn on her nightlight again.

"Oh." Atumi answered and climbed out of bed. I instantly tossed a sweater to her and grabbed her hand. "Mika, where are we going?" She asked with a tone of fear in her voice. "Don't worry!" I attempted to reassure her. "Just follow me and you'll be fine!" Atumi forced a smile and squeezed my hand.

With that, I led my younger sister out of her room and into the long hallway again. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a man and my mother in a dangerous battle. The man was equipped with a knife while my mother was equipped with her fists. Multiple cuts were visible on her face and arms. Blood caked her face and dress. "Mommy!" Atumi screamed, stumbling backwards. The man turned to face us with an ugly, bloodstained face. With lightning fast speed, the man ran to us and lifted is by the backs of our nightgowns. Atumi kicked and screamed while I sat there, my eyes filling with tears.

"You let them go!" My mom demanded and took a step towards us. "I'll throw them over." The man replied, holding us over the deck. "You wouldn't dare!" My mom yelled, running to us. With a smirk, the man dropped Atumi and I into the cold ocean water below.

Atumi was kicking and screaming as we plummeted down towards the water. I quickly grabbed her shaking hand and braced myself for the fall. When we collided with water, I pulled Atumi and I to the surface. Then a splash came from behind me. I was about to swim away when a pair of gentle hands lifted Atumi from me. I turned around to see my father. With a small smile he lifted me onto the raft he had been floating on.

"Where's mommy?" Atumi asked while looking around. "She should be here any minute now.." Father whispered, wiping some water from Atumi's eyes. I couldn't tell if they were tears, rain water, or ocean water. Suddenly, I saw a woman's figure fall from the edge of the boat. When she collided with the water, I felt an urge of happiness and swam towards the figure once I had jumped off the raft. The woman floated on her back while covering her stomach. "Mommy?" I asked and looked into the woman's eyes. It was my mother. She was dying.

Mother smiled a weak smile and brushed her bruised and bloody hand across my cheek. "Mikasu..listen to me," My mother whispered to me with a soft and soothing voice. "Don't be afraid of the world. You can be strong, I know you can. Though without me I know you'll barely survive, but at least try for me, okay?" She choked, her voice barely audible because of the pouring rain.

I felt some warm tears roll down my face. "Okay.." I answered while gripping my mother's hand. With a weak and shaky hand, my mom lifted her other hand and delicately placed a diamond necklace on my neck. It was her necklace; her prized possession. With one final breath she breathed her last words.

"Protect this for me, Mika. I love you so much. Goodbye."

With that she died. Her grip loosened on my hand as I let out a strangled sob. My mother died right in my arms and I could have saved her if I wasn't a weak and pathetic little girl.

The rest of the night was hectic. Atumi could not stop crying when she saw our mother dead while floating in the water. Father was eerily quiet. He shed some tears. I was the only one who couldn't cry. I felt that if I cried I would be betraying mother. I attempted not to cry as my father lifted mother from the water and held her lifeless body in his arms. I only floated in the water and stared. Yes, my heart did ache, but nothing would come out. I was emotionless for the rest of the night.

The next day was obviously the worst. Atumi was depressed but covered it up pretty well with happiness. I was quiet and unresponsive. I wouldn't speak to anyone.

What happened is pretty normal. The police came and arrested the gang. We ended our little vacation on the boat and went home. I was overly depressed, as usual. Atumi faked her happiness until it basically became real. Father slowly drifted away from us until we rarely would see him. I guess you could say that happened to me.