Chapter 1: How It All Started

Sojiro Sakura was working at LeBlanc when he suddenly got a phone call. He walked over to the yellow pay phone and picked up.
"This is Sojiro Sakura of LeBlanc, how can I help you?" Sojiro said. The person on the other end was someone Sojiro recognized. It was Akira Kurusu's parents.
"Hello Sojiro." Akira's father said through the telephone.
"What did Akira do this time?" Sojiro said, sighing.
"He hasn't done anything," Akira's father said. "But..."
Sojiro was concerned. "What do you mean, but?"
Akira's father sighed over the phone, and spoke. "We... no longer want Akira."
Sojiro was taken aback by this. "W-what?!"
"I'm sorry to call you about such a serious topic on such short notice... but we would appreciate if you would take Akira in as you did a year ago." Akira's father said. Sojiro was silent for a bit, then spoke.
"Sure, I'll take the kid in." Sojiro said. "Is there any reason you don't want him?"
"You would know." Akira's father said. "The whole 'Phantom Thieves' thing."
"I see." Sojiro said. "When do you plan to send Akira over here?"
"What works for you?" Akira's father asked.
"Anytime works." Sojiro said.
"Perfect. We'll hand custody of Akira to you in a few days, then we'll send him over." Akira's father said.
"Alright," Sojiro said.
In the coming weeks, custody of Akira Kurusu was transferred over to Sojiro Sakura. When Akira arrived at LeBlanc, he was greeted by Sojiro.
"Welcome back kid." Sojiro said. "You're finally back, even though it was through pretty terrible means."
Akira only sighed, and walked up to his room.
"The kid's got a rough life. One year he's on probation for false charges, the next he's been disowned by his parents." Sojiro said.
Upstairs, Akira was slumped on the couch, not saying a word or making a sound. Morgana had come with, and had been sitting next to Akira on the couch.
"Akira..." Morgana said. He wanted to say something, but couldn't. He knew how terrible Akira felt, but couldn't do anything.
The next day, Ann had stopped by LeBlanc. She didn't know Akira was upstairs. She opened the door to the shop, and sat down at the counter.
Sojiro turned around. "Ah, you're Akira's friend. What was your name? Sorry, I'm not that good with names?"
"I'm Ann Takamaki." Ann said. "I came for some of your famous coffee."
Sojiro prepared a cup, and gave it to Ann.
"Oh, wait. You don't know what's happened." Sojiro said. Ann was confused.
"What do you mean?" Ann asked.
"Akira's back." Sojiro said. Ann was surprised.
"R-really?!" Ann asked. "What's the occasion?" Sojiro looked down at the counter, and back at Ann. "It's... not a good occasion."
"Why? Is there something wrong?" Ann said.
"His parents... disowned him a week or so ago. I've been given custody."
Ann was surprised. "Oh my god! Is he okay?"
Sojiro spoke. "He's upstairs. He isn't doing so hot. If you can, try and talk to him." Ann nodded, and headed upstairs.