III. 27th October 1931 - the secret

Start from the beginning

"Yes. You weren't saying anything this morning, and I wanted to know what happened."

"Oh, because it's not easier to ask, is it?"

"You told me no questions."

"You disgust me," she spat.

She didn't want to hear any more. The urge to turn back and lock herself in her room all day tugged at her, but Pollux must have been there already and she didn't want to ignore him. Instead, she rushed into the bar of the Three Broomsticks. The heat of the establishment hit her, but she was far too angry to notice. Her mind was a ball of fire. All it took was one word from Cassiopeia to make her the victim. With a quick glance she could make out with her cousin. Sitting in the same place as the year before, behind the stairs, removed from all the tables infested with impure blood. When she reached him, his bored expression lit up.

"Where is my sister?"

"On her way," she grumbled, sitting down opposite him. "Are you all right?"

He shrugged.

"As always.. How is Dorea? Is she enjoying Hogwarts?"

"Perfectly, yes," she smiled in spite of herself. "I've never seen her so radiant."

Relief flooded his face. His tendency to worry about his sisters was very touching. Sure, she herself would kill anyone who hurt Cedrella or Charis, but Pollux kept thinking of them before himself. It was as if he was born to protect them. And Marius might have been the ungainly exception of the family, but he still paid attention.

The front door opened and Cassiopeia swept her long blonde hair behind her back. There was no trace of regret in her eyes. Callidora took her act as a violation of her privacy, but it didn't seem to bother her more than that. She would make her pay.

"Pollux!"

The young man got up and welcomed her in his arms. They remained for a moment in each other's arms until Callidora cleared her throat.

"It's only been two months since you last saw each other."

"Too long," smiled Cassiopeia.

They sat down again. Pollux didn't ask for anything to drink, as ButterBears was not either of their cups of tea. Accustomed to the great French wines, they unfortunately only found them in London.

"How is the news at the Ministry?"

"Nothing new. Grindelwald is still wanted, some think he's dead. Fawley is still conducting his little policy, too fragile for my taste."

"I still don't understand why he was appointed Minister of Magic. He doesn't have the shoulders for it," sighed Callidora.

"But at least he favours the pureblood families," retorted her cousin. "Which is something some of our professors don't follow at all."

"Dumbledore is totally against this ideology," explained Pollux. "He doesn't seem to understand that we have supremacy. Grindelwald's influence has spread all over Europe, and every magical government is headed by a member of a large family."

"Dumbledore may be against it, but let's not forget that he was with Grindelwald as a teenager. He must have shared his ideas."

"How can you change your mind so easily?" asked Callidora."

"I don't know. But what is certain is that he helped him, and that's the only reason why Grindelwald managed to rise to power. In France, anyway. His old friend scares him too much.

"For now," muttered Pollux. "The Rosiers are already on the case. It won't be long before they clear a path for him to England."

If there was one family Callidora hated, it was the Rosiers. She, and the whole Black family. Their arrogance was boundless, boasting of their French origins and their almost royal nobility. She just wanted to tell them to go back to their country, since England didn't seem to be satisfactory for them.

"So we must be the first," she said. "Grindelwald will underline our importance."

Cassioepeia let out a small laugh.

"We don't need him to become important. We need to rise to the top ourselves."

"That's all well and good, but your metaphor might be a little light on practice."

"It starts with making our house proud and not acting like...

"What ?"

Cassiopeia closed her mouth. The word 'depraved' had nearly left her mouth. Pollux watched them bicker in exasperation.

"What happened?"

"Nothing," said Callidora.

Cassiopeia was silent. It was better not to inflame things. Due to her sleepless night, her cousin was slightly on edge today. She could have a productive discussion the next day, and without that idiot Longbottom in her thoughts. Callidora leaned her back against the chair and made a vague gesture with her hand.

"Meet you outside if you like, I'll stay here."

Pollux did not insist and stood up. Cassiopeia did the same, determined not to let herself be bullied by her cousin's changeable character. Today, she could have time with her brother and she intended to make the most of it. If there was one thing she looked forward to, it was finally finishing school so she could be with him more often.

They walked out and away from the centre of the village. When no prying eyes were able to see them, but not yet far enough for their liking, Pollux slipped his gloved hand into hers. The butterflies in his lower stomach woke up. She had missed him.

"Just shut up and kiss me," he growled, suddenly pinning her against the nearest wall.

The alley was isolated enough to allow for that. Finally free of temptation, Cassiopeia placed her lips on his. Pollux put more force into it, putting his hands on her hips and trying to venture his tongue as far as possible. The girl's breath quickened. She missed his smell, the taste of his lips, everything about him. Even his voice. Her body pressed against his chest. Or was it just the weight of love?

"You…"

"I said shut up," he cut her off.

A smile stretched her lips.

"You think I talk too much?"

"For the small mouth you have, yes."

She couldn't help but laugh. He buried his face in the crook of her shoulder, to inhale her scent fully. Cassiopeia ran her fingers through his hair while he remained in the same position. She let the back of his head hit the wall. That kiss had exhausted her.

"One day we won't have to hide anymore. Because we'll be Black, and the respect we'll get won't destroy us."

Her words floated in the air for a moment, then disappeared with the autumn breeze. She closed her eyes. For now, the only thing she wanted was to feel him near her. She couldn't command respect or change things, not at 16. But a day would come when the House of Black would be feared. A day would come when no one would dare to oppose her. A day would come when they could love each other freely. Without anyone being able to tell them anything.

Pollux sat up reluctantly. He touched his sister's lips with his thumb, plunging his dark eyes into hers.

"Kiss me again. And another time again. Until I'm tired of you."

But that was the problem. Pollux could never get tired of a woman as extraordinary as Cassiopeia. Because in addition to being a star, his sister was a constellation. Several little lights determined to shine. To shine so brightly, to the point where it would shatter the sun.

"The problem is, if I kiss you, I won't be sure to stop."

"Better, right?"

Their smiles were similar. A mere sketch, before the union of two fiery souls.

They say love makes you blind. And it was true.

For they did not see Harfang Longbottom looking at them.