I. 1st September 1931 - alone

Start from the beginning

"Shall I cast a spell on him?" murmured Cassiopeia. "It's tempting."

Callidora smiled, but it was Dorea who opened her mouth.

"Father said never to attack when the enemy is from behind. He said it was cowardly."

Her older sister took her chin and straightened her head.

"You're right, dear. But you know, sometimes the enemy is more cowardly than we are, and then they may deserve such an act."

"Let's not take it out on the Head Boy, though."

With these words, Callidora passed her cousins and moved to a compartment. By chance, the luggage was there. Charis left with her friends and Cedrella managed to escape once again. When Callidora realized it, a grimace of rage twisted her face.

"I'll kill her."

"Leave her," sighed her cousin. "She is already beyond repair."

So the journey went on in great tranquillity, concentrated between the three girls of the Black house. Cassiopeia immersed herself in a book, and Callidora decided to redo her manicure. Dorea admired her sister for several minutes. Cassiopeia was the most beautiful of all, to her taste. Her big black eyes expressed all her emotions, allowing her to save her words. On this point there, she resembled much Pollux, even if this one knew how to show himself cold and impassive when he wanted it. However, her older sister had something that set her apart from everyone else: her ambition. If all Slytherins were supposed to have it, and even more so the purebloods, Cassiopeia was way above them. The girl wanted greatness. She craved control, power, and exposed the great values of the Blacks every chance she got. Dorea tried to emulate her, but the fire that consumed her sister had not reached her heart.

Callidora was different. She was the same age as Cassiopeia, she fit into all the family requirements and asked for nothing more. For her, her future was already mapped out: marry, have offspring, and die in peace. Greatness eluded her, as did the pride of being a Black. She was a girl, her name would be lost in her husband's; a detail Cassiopeia refused to accept. Her two younger sisters were pretty much like her, except that Cedrella was becoming more and more of a rebel. Her habit of hanging out with blood traitors greatly irritated Callidora. Charis, on the other hand, didn't seem to pay any attention. She was not interested in anything that did not concern her. Dorea could have been close to her, as the young witch was only a year older than her, but she found her too selfish. At least that was the word Marius used.

Sleep overtook her, and her eyes slowly closed. Cassiopeia noticed her sleeping sister and closed her book.

"What did you say to Cedrella when we got into the carriage?"

"She retaliated by pretending she was going to see the Prewetts, except I saw that bloody Weasley greeting her from a distance. I slapped her."

Cassiopeia sighed. Her attention turned to the youngest Black.

"Dorea is too nice to be admitted to Slytherin."

"They said the same thing about Arcturus, and yet he ended up there. The Sorting Hat knows blood, believe me. Cedrella would have ended up in Gryffindor if she hadn't carried the Black name."

"I hope what you say is true. Marius has already disgraced our family, I don't want a second case."

"It's not his fault," defended Callidora. "He must be suffering terribly."

"I don't doubt it for a moment, but he no longer deserves his place in our family. He has no magical powers, he is a disgrace to us."

"Just wait until he grows up. He's too young to be kicked out of his own house."

Dorea had heard everything. Their conversation chilled her. They could not reject Marius in this way, he was their brother. Sure, he had no magic in his blood, but he bore the name Black, like them and Pollux. Callidora's words echoed in her head incessantly. He's too young to be kicked out of his own house. What did that mean?

She remained with her eyes closed the rest of the way. She didn't have the courage to wake up and pretend she hadn't heard. Dorea resented them talking about Marius as if he was just an inconvenience to be forgotten. Even though he was a Squib, he was active in the family, and did his best to live up to his name. Wasn't that what they were all supposed to do?
Although she didn't feel like she had fallen asleep, a hand shook her. Dorea blinked, confused.

"Get ready, we're coming," her cousin said.

Panic knotted her throat. Dispatch was fast approaching, and even though Dorea was certain she would end up in Slytherin, there was still doubt. Cassiopeia must have sensed her distress, because she smiled fondly and stroked her cheek.

"Don't worry. Everything will be all right."

She forgot her unfair words to Marius and blushed. After dressing in her new uniform, her sister gave her several instructions on who to talk to and who not to. The Weasleys were obviously to be rejected, the Prewetts were allowed, as were the Longbottoms and the Potters, although being friends with the latter was not advisable. The best was Malfoy, Lestrange, Bultrode, who were related to them through his mother, Parkinson etc. All Slytherins. The knot in Dorea's throat only grew stronger. What would she do if she was sent to another house?

"Good luck," her sister whispered, pushing her out of the cabin.

She closed the compartment door. Dorea found herself alone. She saw several first years heading for the exit, for they were the first to pass. However, fear froze her in place. She had spent her childhood following her brothers and sisters. She had never been abandoned in this way, never had she had to make her own way. Tears stung her eyes. If only Pollux were here. If only, if only, if only.

"Need help, Black?"

She turned around as quickly as if she had been stabbed.That was Flint.

"Which way... which way should we go?"

His laughing look made her uncomfortable. Without removing his hands from his pockets, he made a movement with his head and walked past her.

"Follow me."

Outside, night had already fallen. The stars hung in the sky like the fireflies she used to watch at home. She could recognise the constellation Cassiopeia and the star Pollux with great satisfaction. As she looked up into the sky, a voice startled her.

"Looking for your star?"

A boy was standing in front of her with a big smile on his face. His brown eyes were sparkling and brimming with a singular joy. He didn't seem to be judging her like the rest of the people. On the contrary, he was simply observing her, without trying to make anything out of this first impression.

"I don't have a star."

"Ah. But aren't you a Black?"

"How do you know I'm a Black?"

The tone of her voice betrayed her distrust. He just shrugged.

"You're easy to recognize. You almost all look the same."

It was the first time she had heard that. His remark almost made her laugh. Seeing her amused, he himself smiled. Dorea suddenly felt lighter. She didn't know if it was him or just this conversation, but the knot in her throat had completely disappeared.

"What's your name?" he asked.

"Dorea."

"I'm Charlus. Charlus Potter."

Potter. His sister had warned him not to go near her. His smile faded, and the anxiety rose again. He must have realised this, because the sparkle in his eyes disappeared and he hunched his shoulders in disappointment.

"It was nice to meet you, anyway."

"Me too," she wanted to reply, but the words choked in her throat. Now she had ruined everything. Or rather, Cassiopeia had just ruined it. She turned around and watched the others crowd into small groups. They were all getting to know each other, without even thinking about the status of the others, except for her. She was alone, because a Black girl could not talk to just anyone. A Black girl was sacred. But a Black girl was alone.

It was going to be a long evening.