Chapter 16 Part 1

Start from the beginning

We finally made it. The small cottage I was so fond of came into my sight, just as wonderful as ever. The feeling I got as a boy returned, the light of The Gods shining over the pile of bricks as we pulled up. I could remember the drive feeling like it took forever, hours, and relished in the elation that ran through my body as I moved my legs once more. It always hurt me to be still, more so now than it did then.

I was more patient now and a lot taller. The building wasn't as grand and towering as I had once remembered, but that did not mean it was any less exciting. I smiled as I looked at the beautiful painting before me.

The cottage was on a hillside and rested atop the lush grass like God himself had put it there. It was made of brown brick with a red front door. A chimney of the same brick billowed with smoke. Jimmy must already be here, lighting the fireplace to warm the building.

I opened the car door, hooking the lead to Strider's collar before I allowed him to spill out of the vehicle. He was bounding up to the house, barking and begging to run around. I giggled but pulled him back in, then sunk to my knees and patted him on the head. "After we get settled in, then you can explore. But, for now, you have to be a good dog." He barked in response.

"Yeah, so Jimmy doesn't throw you in the creek," Maureen grumbled as she walked past us.

My face spoiled, my smile turning to a frown, "He wouldn't do that!" I caught up to her. Carmen rested on her hip. She was smiling and looking around, now fully awake and alert.

"Daddy, tree!" She pointed a chubby finger into the air.

"Yes, that is a tree! Good job. Do you know what kind it is?"

"Tree."

I smiled at her insistence. "That's an Aspen. Can you say Aspen?"

"Aaaaasphen." A slew of spit and soggy cheerios flew from her mouth. I was happy they didn't land on me.

"Close enough!" I clapped. Maureen was laughing, which sent Carmen into bumpy bouts of giggles herself.

We made for the front door but I stopped before entering. I looked around the countryside. It was bucolic. The expansive nature around the isolated cabin would make a wonderful place to write songs. I sucked in a breath as I looked around, a tear almost ringing in my ducts. With one last wistful gaze, I turned the knob and allowed Maureen and Carmen to go in.

Strider rushed in, dragging me along before I could agree, and we were greeted by Jimmy. He was crouched in front of the fireplace. He was poking at the logs and bursts of bright orange embers were popping.

"You already started a fire?"

"Yeah, it was freezing in here! I thought I was gonna spend the next few weeks trapped in the arctic. Thankfully, it warmed fairly swift."

"Yeah, well there's no heat or any other electricity. Get used to not having your usual amenities." Maureen said as she looked around. She wasn't too thrilled about being here, even less about Jimmy's presence. When I first told her we were going away to Wales she was excited. With every bit I told her afterward, her glee diminished.

She wasn't the biggest fan of Jimmy. She thought he was uptight and stuffy, but I could tell her opinion of him was softening. This change came when she met Gwen, which started a shift in the way we all saw him.

"Oh, yes, I can tell that much. I saw the outside toilet."

"Outside toilet? Robert, you didn't tell me about this!" Maureen slapped my chest with the back of her hand.

Jimmy folded his lips together to stop his laughter, then turned away from us. "I'm sorry. I guess I forgot." I shrugged. She just frowned and shook her head. She shot me a terrible glare, a most ghastly sight. She could shoot daggers at me in seconds, casting spells with just her giant eyes. They were gorgeous when I was in her graces and terrifying when I was not.