"I sincerely doubt that's the truth," Draco scoffed.

"If I drank a whole bottle of Veritaserum, I would still be saying it," Rowan swore.

Pansy had chosen then to walk back into the common room, her green eyes enlarging at the sight of a drenched Rowan.

"What the hell happened? Did you go out in the rain?" Pansy huffed, marching over before narrowing her eyes on Draco. "What did you do?"

"Why do you assume it was me, Parkinson?" Draco smirked, "Yaxley is clearly just the type of idiot to go out in the pouring rain for no reason."

"It's always got something to do with you, Malfoy," Pansy replied.

"C'mon, Pans." Rowan grabbed her best friend's wrist. "I don't have the time for this. Nor does Malfoy. He's got to work on getting the ink out of his essay."

Draco's smirk widened. "The ink pot didn't land on my essay," he replied smugly.

With a flick of Rowan's wand, the ink pot that was next to Draco's essay exploded all over his work. Pansy burst out into laughter from beside Rowan. Rowan swore to Merlin that there was no greater satisfaction than watching the cocky look wipe itself off of Draco's face as he dove forward to, once again, save his essay from the wrath of Rowan Yaxley. He cried out as the ink stained his pale, slender hands.

"You're the worst kind of witch, Yaxley!" Draco seethed, glaring at her as she backed away with Pansy. "Don't look so pleased with yourself — you'll pay for this."

"Bye, Malfoy!" Rowan called over her shoulder and sent him a fluttery-fingered wave that she was sure would only stab anger hotter into his body.

...

( 18 September 1997 )

Rowan and Pansy were still laughing about Draco's ink-stained essay when they reached the Great Hall the next morning for breakfast. It was a Monday and they had Potions with Snape first thing. Unless Draco had managed to work out a spell to clean the splashed ink without removing his own inked-handwriting, then he was probably screwed. However, Rowan was sure that the icing on the cake would be to see Draco being scolded by his favourite professor at Hogwarts.

They took seats with the other Slytherins in their year at the top of the table. Daphne was talking to Tracey Davis and Millicent Bulstrode, paying Rowan and Pansy no attention as they automatically reached for their chosen breakfast foods. Rowan always had to spend that little extra time in the mornings doing her eyeliner, something she had managed to perfect over the years, and Pansy had no problem sitting on the edge of her bed and yapping in her ear about whatever dream she'd had the night before, or whatever else.

"Have you two got your dresses for our graduation party yet?" Tracey asked.

"Maybe," Pansy replied.

Daphne rolled her eyes. "Well, is it a yes or a no?"

"She said 'maybe,' Greengrass," Rowan answered without taking her eyes off of the cereal she was pouring into a bowl. "That's your answer."

Daphne huffed, "Why is everything so weird and complicated with you two?"

Rowan merely shrugged. "Probably because Pans can't be bothered to talk about dresses for an event that's not going to happen for another ten months."

Pansy nodded in agreement.

"Well, when you two do pick out your dresses, they can't be green. I'm doing green, and we can't all clash," Daphne replied. "Wait. Are you even going, Parkinson? You won't have a date."