002 | are you earnest?

Start from the beginning

"Precisely why I am off to find her a suitable man," he said, bowing slightly before walking off.

She stood on her own, rocking back and forth on the balls of her feet as she peered around, trying to find Penelope somewhere around but she was missing.

She looked up to see Cressida and her group of friends walk over, making some comments. She just ignored it but the blonde girl kept persisting.

"You know, I'm sure nobody wants to dance with you anyway Elizabeth," Cressida said with a haughty laugh.

Anthony saw the whole thing, taking pity on the girl. He would never want his sister to be like that, alone and insulted.

He walked over, standing next to the girl, "Sorry ladies, would you mind if I borrowed Lady Monroe for a moment," he said, fully intending on taking her away.

"Only if you'll save a dance for me Viscount Bridgerton," the girl said, flirting with him.

He smiled politely before taking Elizabeths hand, the two moving onto the dance floor for the first dance.

"You do realise I have two other men on my dance card, I don't need you saving me," she said, allowing him to take her hand in his as they began to dance to the slow music.

He scoffed, "Well then pray tell, why did you allow those girls to so readily insult you,"

"I don't even wish to be here, I can take a few insults. There is a reason I skipped this season, I'm letting my sister have her year," she said, trying to look anywhere but into his eyes.

"You really think you can do that? Wait another year and expect people to not think you're a spinster?" Anthony enquired, his hands moving to her waist as he lifted her up slightly in accordance to the dance.

"And you've waited how many years now? What about your sister, are you going to match her with any fool here?" She asked, the two continuing to dance.

Him dancing with her was already strange enough, with many mothers in the crowd wondering whether the Viscount was looking for a wife, or if he had chosen one with the Monroe girl.

"My sister will be married to Nigel Berbrooke," he stated.

She snorted as she laughed, "That imbecile, are you earnest?" She questioned.

He laughed, "I don't see any issue with the man. He is a fine gentleman and respectable in society," he said, looking at her dumbfounded expression, "My main focus is finding my sister a suitable match,"

"And what about your mistress?" She asked, not noticing his face sink at the words.

"I've cut off ties with her, sold the apartment," he didn't look her in the eyes, "You've got nothing to hold above me anymore,"

Her face sank, "I'm sorry Anthony, I never meant it like that," Elizabeth explained and he scoffed, cutting her off.

"Don't feel pity for me," he said.

She scoffed, "How can I not? You live your life trying to be free but you're held down by your responsibilities. Maybe you should enter the season, have someone who can share the burden with you," she stated.

He froze as she said that, his brows furrowing. The music stopped and she was suddenly very aware of his hand on waist.

"I don't think thats accurate or even necessary for a woman to say, just with those words I could get you called ineligible Ada, nobody would want you," he said, his other hand tight on her arm.

"Well if all men are like you Bridgerton, I'd rather die alone," She said before pulling away and walking off, anger in her veins.

Later that evening after she danced with all the men on her card, she atood with her mother and cousin when Violet and Anthony walked over, asking if they knew where Daphne had gone.

She didn't even look at Anthony, trying to keep small talk with his mother instead. He didn't look at her either, still angry from what had occurred earlier.

Everyone gasped, watching as Simon and Daphne walked out together, the two walking into the middle of the circle as they began to dance.

"Thats a match if I've ever seen one before," Elizabeth said, tilting her head in confusion at them.

1301 words