Act 4, Scene 1 - The Riddle

Start from the beginning

"Did I hear you all discussing the Lord of Crime? In keeping with the theme of the evening?"

One of the masked noblemen nods. "We were saying that he's rather well-liked and rumours of his identity are buzzing."

Albert nods to the gentleman sitting on the plush chaise lounge, a disinterested and critical look on his face beneath his mask. "Are you of the same opinion?"

"Of liking the Lord of Crime?" He scoffs. "Of course not. Whoever he is, he's getting star treatment for killing noblemen. He should be found and punished."

"Is that so?" Albert laughs. "It's surprising that he's being idolised like this, but all the noblemen he's killed have been corrupt in some form or another."

"So?" He asks accusingly. "What's that got to do with the matter?"

Albert smiles politely. "Surely it's a good thing they're being punished for their crimes?"

As Albert turns on his heel, a hand on Eleanor's lower back, the man huffs obnoxiously and looks away.

Once the pair have returned to dancing for a few minutes, Albert eyebrows raise, feeling a presence behind himself.

"Is everything alright?" Eleanor asks.

He shakes his head. "It's no matter."

The game's conductor raises a hand and the music comes to a stop as the chatter quietens down.

"May I have everyone's attention! It seems that the first sign of the Lord of Crime's killing spree is a splash of wine on the victim's clothing. Please check to see whether you have been a victim of the killer's wrath."

The guests begin searching their clothes for a stain of red wine and Albert huffs a laugh to himself.

"Eleanor, will you check my tailcoat?"

As he turns around, she gasps. "I think you've had some spilt on you, Albert."

He nods —just as he thought.

"I'll repeat, the sign of the Lord of Crime's victim is a wine stain!"

Raising a hand, Albert flashes Eleanor a smile before he walks forwards into the crowd. "It seems I'm the first victim of the Lord of Crime this evening."

Removing his black and gold mask, there are murmurs from other guests as his identity is revealed.

"Let's give a hand for Lord Albert Moriarty!"

They all clap, Albert placing his mask in his jacket pocket and walking up onto the steps to join the game conductor. He glances down at his hand, removing his bluestone, gold-banded ring from his finger.

"This is my donation for the charity." He places the ring in the silver dish, smiling as he walks up the stairs and the guests clap.

"I've been hit as well!"

Another hand is raised by a slim, dark-haired gentleman further back and he weaves his way through the crowd, also removing his mask.

"Another victim, thank you Mr Ormstein!"

The gentleman places a wristwatch in the tray, following Albert's action of making his way to the second floor.

"Thank you, gentlemen. Please, enjoy your time this evening!"

Pursing her lips as everyone returns to dancing, Eleanor attempts to walk over to the bar area, only to feel a pulling on her hand.

Eyebrows raised, she turns to see a black-masked, blonde gentleman holding her wrist.