Untitled Part 7

There’s a knock on the door and I jump, falling from my window seat. I crash on my hip for the second time today, and it really hurts. “Sang? Are you all right? Can you open the door, please?” I just kind of lay there on the floor, the wind knocked out of me. Max is whining lowly, nudging me. I give him an awkward pat on the head and he slobbers all over my face as I heave myself back up again. I got slobbered on by a dog! This day is awesome!

“Sang? Please open the door. If not, we’re going to have to break in.” That was a woman’s voice; I could only hope it was Melissa. Well, I wasn’t even sure I wanted it to be Melissa. She was demanding. And kind of scary. I whish I were like her.

“The lock’s not very good quality” I hear another male voice say, and I know that Kota is standing out there as well. “It shouldn’t take long to open if worst comes to worst.” You can do this, I coach myself as I walk over to the door and grab the lock. You can do this. Kota’s out there. He wouldn’t let anything bad happen to you, would he? He’s been really nice so far. Then again, he might just be here to take Max back.

“We’re giving you thirty seconds, Sang, then we’re breaking this door open” Melissa says through the door. Well, that decides it. I flip the lock, opening the door, then scramble backwards to my window seat where I can huddle with my back to the wall.

Melissa comes in, shutting the door behind her. I can here Kota – and a baritone that I guess is Victor – protesting, but she simply ignores them. She walks over to me, crouching down in front of the window seat so that her blue eyes are the same level as my green ones. Then she sighs.

“I know your mother warned you about all people on the outside, and particularly of men. But I also know that you didn’t completely believe her, and you’re right. Not everybody out there is bad. I’m not bad, Dakota isn’t a bad person, just like Victor, Mr. Blackbourne and everybody else in this house. You know that, right?” I nod shyly.

“Of course, there are actually bad people out there, and that’s why I can’t just let you stay all alone here in this house. You are going to be sent to Foster Care. Every Foster Parent has lots of tests, background checks and interviews done before he’s approved, so you don’t have to worry that he’ll turn out to be one of the bad people, okay?

Mr. Blackbourne agreed to take you for the moment. He knows ASL, so you’ll be fine. Now, he’s going to come in any moment, and then he’ll take you to his home. I will be dropping by tomorrow to make sure everything is all right and to organize further appointments: for example, we’re going to have to have a doctor give you a check-up. Mr. Blackbourne is going to be bringing a small suitcase with him, you should pack everything you’ll need in there. Eventually, I’m sure you’ll be able to move more stuff, but it might take a few days, so make sure you pack all necessities like toothbrushes and tampons. Did you understand everything?”

I nod.

“Okay then. Mr. Blackbourne!” she calls out, making me wince. God was that loud. There’s some tussling behind the door and when it finally opens, not only Mr. Blackbourne comes in but Kota and Victor as well. I start to panic as I see the suitcase in Mr. Blackbourne’s hand; it’s final now, I’m going to be leaving this house. I haven’t ever left this house; my trip outside this morning can’t be classified as truly leaving it, I think. Reflexively, I clutch Max closer to me. Then my eyes stray to Kota and I can’t stop the tears from spilling. He’s going to take Max away, and then lock me up all alone in a strange house with this Mr. Blackbourne person. I don’t want to go. I should have just listened to my mother. Staying inside is the better option.

“Hey, sweetie, don’t cry!” Kota’s coming towards me. He’s going to want his dog back. He reaches out and I flinch away, burying my face in Max’s fur. My teddy bear snuffs me affectionately. “What’s wrong, sweetie? Mr. Blackbourne may seem stiff, but he’s actually really nice. There’s nothing to be afraid of. We can even come visit tomorrow.”