Four: It's up to Maeri whether she takes it to her grave or spill everything tonight (advised by Chan)

The nerve-wracking moment of tonight awaits them.

Little did Sungchan know a whole twist were to be cast upon them in the same place, on the same night.

Just then the moment he has awaited had finally come.

His father walking up the stage— all prim and proper; pride in every step he takes as those polished dress shoes shine under the spotlight.

Right on time he looks over at Maeri's direction, she was already looking at him— both directing each other a solemn look as a signal that the moment they have waited for was actually about to happen and however their plan goes, it's no turning back.

"A beautiful night it is to share with you all at such a beautiful place." Sungchan's father, Yunho standing on the podium with such a grin he had long wanted to wipe from the old man's face.

How irritating.

The agitation seeping in his fingertips as he doesn't want the speech to be finished but yet it will ruin their agreement and harm anyone although everyone is capable in this very ballroom.

"For tonight's big announcement, I'd unfortunately be out of hands soon as I have given this responsibility to the rightful heir of this organization." Yunho's voice echoes through the speakers as he stands there all in pride but mischief.

Sungchan gulps the growing lump in his throat~ his hands getting cold from sweating and his heart pounding in his chest as he awaits for a specific name to be called.

"I'd like to call up on stage, Zhong Chenle, Shim Maeri, Park Jisung and Jung Sungchan."

A few seconds of processing what he hears and he's being pat on the shoulder by Maeri. 

Anytime now, something is about to happen and Sungchan feels it on the back of his neck.

Jisung confusedly follows, eyes diverting from the crowd, to Chenle, to Maeri and to Sungchan— “What's going on?” the youngest mouths to him.

Maeri looks back at Sungchan, reaches for his arm to squeeze 2 times in a tight grip like a secret message is being passed in the crowd full of people— her eyes glisten like gold flakes under the spotlight even with a tough eyeshadow combination, her eyes are still the most noticable feature.

Fear evident in them as he looks back down at her while Jisung and Chenle are left confused of the events right now.

He presses his lips tightly shut as he gives a knowing look down the young lady's honey brown irises.

“I'm sorry for this.” is what Maeri whispers before walking up the stage to bow to the crowd and wave like the rest of them did. “I know.” he whispers back, the secrecy of a facade unknown to the eye of hundreds.

He had this moment coming. He expected it.

It's as if time slowed down when they received silver rings that were a sign of the pact they oathed never to break like a broken promised remade.

Jisung is the only person on that stage who knows of nothing about inheriting nor does he remember anything about his parents as Sungchan runs his thoughts in his head— side eyeing the younger and Maeri and the people up the balcony and then onto the crowd.