Past, Present and The Future

Start from the beginning

"Shane, humans age, and HE will be no exception, pureblood humans can't live for long, our chance will come sooner or later."

"And then what?" Shane wondered, "Kill all the humans? That's not realistic."

Petra said, "We don't have to kill them all, just kill them until they are afraid and then take control of their upper echelons of power, make the humans acknowledge the Monsters' existence and give us an identity that will see the light of day."

Shane shook his head, "As long as monsters eat human flesh, the hatred will never be dissolved."

Petra disagreed with his notion, "Technology is advancing, as long as the world's power is focused on Monsters, one day we can artificially create something that they can eat, if we don't do it, if we don't reform, we will never get that chance."

Petra walked up to Shane and said calmly, "I want you to join the Bronze Wood or use your power to help us, just like you did at the Auction."

"I can't do that."

Shane gave her the coldest and most heartless reply.

Petra said, "Surely that's the answer you would have, do you enjoy your human life that much?"

Shane looked at her "face" and said, "I have a family. Don't you envy that?"

Petra stood still for a moment.

"I don't envy it, it would be better to kill me to live as you do." 

For the first time, she spoke in slow tones about her experience, to another natural-born half-breed, "When I first opened my eyes, the world was bloody, and the first food I ate was not breast milk, but human flesh ...... Did you know? I was abandoned by my father in District 24 and raised by a Monster."

"I was used to the life of a monster before I knew what the life of a human was like."

Petra didn't exude anger, her voice was unhurried.

"Shane, I wasn't as lucky as you to find a home in a child. That's why my position leans towards Monsters and yours leans more towards humans. It's nothing really, we all need to find a balance to survive and make sure we can adapt to this shitty world ......"

"But adapting as such, you lost yourself in human society, cover your ears and pretend you can't hear the Monster's wail, close your eyes and pretend you're not a Mutant."

"Petra, I don't share this negative attitude of yours."

"You're going to die sooner or later like that."

With this comment, Petra didn't stand her ground.

"Why are you saying this to me?"

"I want you to take the initiative and not always hide in human society."

After being pointed out for breaking the fact that he was running away from the Monster world, Shane retorted, "My son needs me more than you do."

Petra lapsed into silence, a wry smile creeping across her face.

"That's why I said you've changed, you've known so many Monsters too, do you expect them all to die one day?"

"I will save them."

"What about the other Monsters you don't know?"

"I'll save the ones I can, the ones I can't ...... have nothing to do with me."

This was the cruel side of Shane being forced to reveal.

Yet Petra smiled.

"The most powerful Monsters of legend, the King, is the one who can lead the Monsters to change the world." Petra told her made-up story, a serious snub to Shane, "In the eyes of many people you don't know, you are the strongest contender for King, they see you as the hope of the world and long for you to save them."