Licorice's POV

I stare at the ceiling, feeling extremely exhausted but can't seem to go to sleep. my bare skin feeling the cold air, shivering. i get up to go into the kitchen, quietly trying not to make sound. I grab a mug from the top cabinet and pour a cup of cold milk and put two scoops of instant coffee in the mug. i sit on the counter taking a sip from the mug, then look at the clock.

"11:45 pm. It's almost midnight, but I can't
fall asleep." i think to myself, taking another sip of my cold coffee. it's getting really late, but i just can't go to sleep. i grab my sleeve and pull it down, out of nervousness. i hear something in the corner of my ear. i turn around, but there's nothing there.

"i might just be tired and paranoid. i'm fine, there's nothing there." i say to myself quietly. i grasp my cup firmly, slightly shaking. it's so cold in here, i'm starting to shake.

"licorice, what are you doing up this late?" i hear someone say in the corner of my ear, the voice still half asleep. i jump up from surprise. i turn around to see clover standing in the doorway, with his right hand on the wall and his dark blue oversized shirt almost covering his black shorts. i face towards him and begin to explain.

"i was thirsty, so i went up and got a drink. no biggie." i say, still slightly shaking while taking another sip from the mug. i place it on the counter and yawn.

"well, what's in it?" clover asks.

"vodka." i say jokingly. clover rolls his eyes, but still smiles.

"haha, very funny. now seriously, what's in the mug?"

"liquid." clover grabs the mug as i slightly space out and looks inside the cup.

"lico, this is a cup of cold milk with two scoops of instant coffee. why are you drinking cold coffee at almost 12 in the morning?" clover asks. i'm still slightly spaced out so i didn't really hear him until he put a hand on my shoulder.

"you're going to bed. it's almost midnight." clover says. he pours the mug out and puts it in the sink.
"my coffee-" i groan, folding my arms.

"it's much too late for coffee. you need to go to bed." clover assured, wrapping his arms around my waist and lightly throwing me over his shoulder, my face towards the fridge.

"no i'm not. and it's never too late for coffee." i whine, looking at the floor. my body is too weak to move or struggle right now so the only thing i can do is try and talk my way out of this.

"we're not having this disagreement licorice. you need to sleep, and there's no trying to convince me otherwise.
"i don't want to go to bed though. you can't make me."

"we're already halfway up the stairs. don't make me play this game with you because not only is it way too late for it, but i'm not going to play it at all."
i stare at the stairs below me, my vision starting to blur a little.

"clover, i think you should stop having me upside down now..." i say, starting to feel a little dizzy.
"it's okay, we're here now so i'll set you down." he replies, setting me down face into the pillow.

"i would jump up and run down the stairs but my body just doesn't right now. so the only thing i can do is try and convince you to let me stay up." i say back, face still muffled into the pillow.

"well i'm not letting you stay up all night. you're going to sleep, and that's final."
i look around the room, noticing it looks different than the room i came out of earlier. there's strings of fairy lights and different colored flowers around the walls, vines growing in corners of the ceiling, flower pots on desks. the carpeting is a lightly colored grayish lavender and the walls are a nice cream color.

"clover, is this your room-?" i ask, attempting to sit up on the bed. i pull my sleeves down, patiently waiting for an answer.

"yes, why?" he responds. he's surprisingly nonchalant about this, which i'm not really sure why. he sits up on the bed with me putting a hand on my leg, which stops shaking. i think he can tell i'm nervous.

"just asking. i should probably go back into the guest room now..."

"well, it's really cold in there and i can tell you're cold because you're shaking and shivering even though you're in sweatpants and two shirts. you can stay in here since it's warmer."

i stare at the floor and brush my hair out of my face. i don't want to be a burden, but then again i don't really want to be alone right now.
"okay well, is it okay if i sleep on the floor? i don't want you to feel uncomfortable or anything so i think the floor is the b-best option-"

"no, no it's alright! you won't bother me at all, but you can choose to sleep wherever if you want. i'll get the stuff, you stay put." clover went downstairs to get blankets and pillows, while i stay up here. i feel like he won't come back. it's just my anxiety talking, but i still feel like he'll just leave me here. alone. which is what i don't want to be right now. my hands start shaking again, but harsher this time. my breathing quickens a bit. why am i feeling this way..?

i don't have any reason to feel like this, so why is it happening? this doesn't make sense. nothing makes sense anymore. i walk towards the door, but stumble halfway.

"come on, just keep going..!" i say to myself, attempting to get up with my hands shaking aggressively. i manage to get up, but just sit on the floor with my arms wrapped around my legs and my head on my knees. my hair flows down from my back to the floor, my bangs covering my face. i hear footsteps coming into the room, the door suddenly opens.

~~~~
"hey i'm back- oh dear, lico are you alright?" clover asked as soon as he came into the room. he dropped the pillows and blankets then rushed over to the floor to comfort me as he moved my hair out of my face then put a hand on my head. i look up to make eye contact, his face painted with a worrisome look.

"i-i'm fine... i j-just...." i try to continue explaining but tears fill my eyes before anymore words came out. clover hugs me closely and sits down on the floor with me.
"it's okay, i'm right here. take some deep breaths and let it out." clover runs his hands through my long purple hair, which makes me calm down a bit. i hug clover back, holding him tightly as if this is the last hug i'll ever get. i don't want to leave this hug, it feels nice and warm, and safe..

"don't leave me alone, please.. just stay right here.." i mumble, while lying my head on clover's shoulder, still holding him tightly.
"if i stay, will you go to sleep?" clover asked.
"...fine. i'll t-try. just promise me you'll stay..?" i answer. clover lied down on the floor, still holding me in his arms and nodded his head.
"i promise."
——————
————————
1,266 words