"Seven years ago, something did."

"Were you married when it happened?"

The man didn't say anything else for a few seconds before Kenma looked at him to see that he had lowered his head and in a silent mutter he answered. "Yes,"

Bastard son of a bitch, Kenma thought to himself, he almost couldn't contain it and said that out loud, had he not gritted his teeth to prevent himself from throwing profanities right then and there.

"I know it was my fault, she didn't know. That's why I wanted to know where she is and apologize to her personally."

Kenma closed his eyes for a second, calming himself down before he sat back in front of the man. "Sure, go and apologize. Visit her grave and apologize to her."

The man's eyes visibly widened, a look of utter surprise masking his expression as he looked back at Kenma. "She's..." he couldn't continue what he was saying, instead he let out a trembling breath as he lowered his head again.

"She died from childbirth."

Kenma remembered what you said before. That no matter who they are, a parent needs to know their child's existence. Only then will Kenma know if this man will be able to love Suki more than he ever did and will ever do.

"And the child...?" the man asked slowly, voice no more than above a whisper.

"You saw her yesterday, right?"

Kenma averted his gaze, looking out the window, his eyes holding a solemn glint. He wonder if what he's doing is even the right thing. He suddenly thought of you, he wish you'd be here beside him.

"So she's..." the man started, looking at Kenma. "But I thought she's your daughter."

"Do I need to be her biological father for her to become my daughter?"

Kenma looked back at the man who in turn chuckled lightly. "You're right," he said. "You're absolutely right. Thank you for taking care of her in my stead."

"Wait," Kenma started, looking at the man before the side of his lips turn up. "It seems you're missing out something here, Mr. Aihara. When did I ever say she's you daughter?"

"What?" the man asked, clearly confused. "But she's Kana's daughter, isn't she?"

"Yes, and? Just because she's my sister's daughter doesn't mean you're her father."

"Then how about we do a paternity test to see if I really am her biological father?"

Kenma lowered his head, shutting his eyes close for a second to let everything sink in. It's not that he hasn't thought about that possibility. He had thought about different route, like a game, and among the possible route where the game might be instantly over was this man suggesting that test.

"So what if we do it and the result came out that you're her biological father?" Kenma asked, lifting his head up to look at the man. "Is your wife fine with the fact that her husband slept with another woman and now he has an illegitimate daughter?"

"My wife..." the man trailed off before he suddenly smile. "Will accept her as if she's her own. Because she's a kind-hearted woman."

"So she's very kind that she would let her husband's cheating history slide? She must be a Saintess, for god's sake."