"At least it is only one of your ladies, right?" Zarek asked in an attempt to cheer up the surly blonde.

"She's the worst one." Calira grumbled from beneath her curls before she raised her head and let out a large sigh. Countess DuBare had requested a private audience with Calira for some sinister reason, but proper etiquette and curiosity kept Calira from denying it.

"I will be nearby if you need me," Zarek offered as Calira nodded.

***

Veronique glanced around the parlor impatiently. The Crown Princess was late and had forced Veronique to stay cooped up in the smallest parlor. It grated on the Countess's nerves. It had become a habit of Calira's to make her ladies-in-waiting wait for her, if she bothered to show up at all. It was rude and highly offensive, but Veronique hadn't seen Alaric recently to complain about his bride. She thoroughly blamed that last bit on Calira. The jealous chit had kept Alaric from visiting any of his mistresses.

"Frowning so much, Countess, will deepen those lines in your face," Calira's cool voice caught Veronique's attention and the vain woman turned swiftly to scoff in the blonde's face. After all, her face was flawless. There were no lines to deepen.

"I was worried for your safety, your grace. After all, you are almost an hour late for our meeting." Veronique replied brusquely. Calira met Veronique's glare with one of her own.

"I was busy. I am getting married in less than two weeks, after all." Veronique tensed at Calira's words. She internally cursed. She was running out of time to get rid of the woman who had singlehandedly taken away her most illustrious and explicit affair. Alaric was the only man worthy of Veronique's beauty.

"Is it really that close?"

"11 days," Wesley answered as he walked in behind Calira. Veronique glared at him. None of the other servants in the palace were as rude as the Princess's bodyguard. At least after she got rid of the princess the bodyguard would be gone as well.

"That is very near indeed. Are you still certain of your decision to marry? After all, you will be queen in less than a fortnight. If the kingdom fails, it will be on your shoulders," Veronique remarked sharply as Calira's back straightened. Wesley glared at the Countess from behind his ward. Calira was silent for a few moments before her lips tilted up at the corners.

"I am looking forward to serving the people of Venta. They deserve a good and just queen and that is what they will be getting. Do not fret, Lady DuBare." Calira replied simply as Veronique continued to glare at her.

"And you believe you are worthy of the people's affection?"

"I believe the people should decide if I am worthy of their affection. I am not vain enough to speak on their behalf." Calira's words cut through Veronique. It was a slice at Veronique's own shortcomings but the Countess failed to notice. Instead, she folded her hands across one another delicately in her lap.

"I was hoping to meet with the king while I was in town, but I was told he was unavailable?" Veronique asked as she watched Calira tense. She smirked to herself.

"He is currently with his generals traveling along the borders. He is making sure the country will be safe from any enemies." Calira answered warily as she watched Veronique's cupid-bow lips twist up in a devious smirk.

"And do you know when he will return?"

"In a few days. I was not given an exact timeline." At Calira's words, Veronique's smirk widened in a malicious smile. With the King out of the palace and city, the scheming Countess had the perfect time to get rid of her rival and secure her place at Alaric's side. It was coming together. By the time the Royal Wedding came around, the Princess would be dead and out of Veronique's way. Both Wesley and Calira frowned at the Countess's grin. Unease crept up the assassins's spines. The two shared a look of discomfort as the Countess rose to her feet, still wearing the same unnerving smile.

"Your presence is most gratifying, your grace, but I fear I must leave. I promised my husband I'd be back in time for a dinner with some of our closest friends here in the city," Veronique excused as she curtsied in front of Calira. Calira nodded her head and watched the Countess strut out of the room.

"That was..."

"Discomfiting. I do not like that woman," Calira growled as she folded her arms across her chest. She had lied when she told the Countess she didn't know when Alaric would return from his trip to the borders. Alaric had practically drilled it into her skull before his departure the day before.

"I will only be gone for four days."

"In a fortnight, she will be at your mercy." Wesley offered in an attempt to quell some of his mistress's uneasiness. Calira nodded, but the frown stayed plastered on her face.

__________________________________________________________________

And with this, I have officially returned! My updates have been slow for very good reasons, I promise. My real life has been very demanding:

I had to have my wisdom teeth removed and a nerve repaired in my jaw.

I sprained my ankle and tore a ligament in my foot.

I have a full load of classes this semester.

I also have a job now.

So you can understand why I haven't much time or energy to write. Hopefully though since I am all healed up, I am used to my class and work schedule, and I have far more energy now, I will be able to write more. Thank you for sticking with me.

Until the next chapter, lovelies :)