"i promised jim that he wouldn't go to prison for helping me. i had to make good on that promise." ward said. this situation was making me angry the more everyone kept talking. "not like you care." rafe directed that to sarah.

"did it look like i didn't care when i thought dad was dead?" sarah said, eyeing rafe as he sat next to me. "it looked like you cared about running off with some asshole dragging sunny into it." he was getting angry too, his hand held out as he spoke.

"it looked like all you cared about was the inheritance!" they yelled at each other.

"yes you cared! you cared! that's the point!" ward yelled and i eyed my dad who stayed silent. why wasn't he saying anything? "anybody on that dock could see that you both cared." ward turned to look at me, my eyes darting away from his.

my mind went back to the day on the dock, remembering my struggled cries.

"and i know you're both are angry right and rightfully so. the important thing is that it's all behind us now.. it is." ward said and i felt rafe lean back. "we're gonna live a new life, all of us together." i wanted to sprint out of the room and jump off the ship more than ever now. the thought of this made me want to throw up.

"where we are taking you.. it's paradise. it's off this place called guadeloupe and oh by the way, all those A's you got in french are about to pay off cause they speak french over there." ward spoke happily.

i've always wanted to get out of the obx, wanting more of a life for myself. this is not what i meant.

"i want to call my friends and i want to call my boyfriend. can i at least just tell them that i'm okay?" sarah said and i frowned. rafe sighed, pinching his nose. it felt like no one really cared about sarah or i's feelings right now. "yes of course you can, as soon as we get there you can call john b. he knows you're here right?" ward shrugged and i shut my eyes. i wish i could just disappear, becoming an invisible blanket.

"no he doesn't and they will all be pissed once they find out you stole sunny too!" she muttered and i looked at her, my eyes snapping open. do they actually care about me? i would have never walked onto this ship if i knew this was what was happening.

"yeah they do." ward smirked, standing up out of the chair. i saw rafe clench his fist at the mention of the pouges. "what are you talk about?" sarah said and ward turned to her. "when you were getting ready they came by the house and rose talked to him. you know the cross you've all been looking for? rafe was able to get it." my eyes dropped to the floor once again. the guilt rising in my chest.

"turns out that i guess historically it belongs to the heywards." i shook my head with a scoff. "yeah we know." sarah said, gesturing to me next to rafe. "it also turns out that the most important thing to me is you so i gave john b the cross for you." i felt rafe lean into me with a head shake.

i was about to speak up, to say that that's not true but i saw rafe's eyes well with tears. i blinked, turning back to ward. ward was never considerate of other peoples feelings, especially rafe's. but right now wasn't a good time to be sad, my life was currently getting ruined.

"and john b was okay with that?" sarah said and i eyed her, willing her to look at me. "well um i had just given him a half a billion dollar artifact so." ward shrugged and rafe had his finger to his lip. he shook his head, his gold ring standing out. "yeah he seemed pretty okay." ward was sat in the chair, back facing me.

her eyes connected with mine and i slowly shook my head. i hoped she understood what i was trying to tell her but i know she's smart.

she looked back at her dad, leaning her head on the seat. "i don't know what to tell you.. he's a pouge." ward shrugged and i watched my dad sit across from me. i still didn't understand why he wasn't saying anything. i'm guessing he lets ward speak for him now.

"rose, wheezie come on in!" ward shouted and they stepped in. rose went straight to ward and wheezie went straight to sarah. suddenly rafe's hand was on my thigh and i looked at him. he looked sorry, like he didn't mean to do what he did. i put my hand over his, knowing that the words he told me just before i walked into my room were true. he's very misguided and i need to start speaking up and letting him know that the things he thinks are right, truly aren't.

wheezie was excited about going to a new island, far away from here. "sunny are you excited!" wheezie smiled at me and i couldn't look at her. she was just a kid, so oblivious to all of this. "they aren't feeling well right now sweetheart." ward said and i bit the inside of my cheek.

"but they will be, we're all gonna be feeling pretty good soon huh?" my dad smiled at me. i assumed he thinks i would get over this one day. that was far from the truth though.

-