Episode 14 - One Of Us Will Lose

Start from the beginning

Moving to the circuit breaker in the wall, you put the signal modulator in, praying it'll work. Please, please let it work.

And the fucking universe seems to have heard you, because it actually does the job. You let out a gasp of relief when the lights in the hallway turn off, just like it was when you first arrived here. Fuck yes.

But the door by the stairway opens, and you have to run for your fucking life again, because you can literally see him from the corner of your eye. And you know he saw you too.

Running to the basement, you can choose to go back up the ladder, into the Greenhouse, or hide behind the giant tube in here. You have no ammo left for your grenade launcher, which really sucks, because that means you won't be able to fully kill any of the plant zombies walking around the Greenhouse. As a matter of fact, you'd do best to avoid the Greenhouse altogether, because Bigfoot is still walking around there. Or at least you think so, judging by the footsteps you can hear in the distance.

So that's why you choose to hide. And you need to make it quick, because Leon is really, really fast.

Unfortunately, your partner — or your former partner, as of now — still has the flashlight in his possession. That means you can't see shit.

Somehow you manage to get behind the tube just in time. You stop moving completely when you hear him pushing the door open, stepping into the hall when you're just a few feet away, hiding from him. You've put your hand up to cover your mouth, hopefully preventing him from hearing you breathe.

Hell, you can hear him breathe. You literally feel like you're hiding from a serial killer, which you probably are, but in a certain way it all still feels surreal. Like this is all just part of some terrible nightmare and you can't wake up.

Please go up the ladder. Please go up the ladder—

He merely hums briefly to himself, and it makes your breath hitch in your throat, but you need to keep quiet now.

You can hear noise from the other side of the tube, and you realize that hiding from him actually worked. He's going up the ladder, into the Greenhouse, giving you room to at the very least get out of here.

Yet you don't move when you can tell he's gone from the dark space you find yourself in.

Leaning against the wall, you let yourself drop down to the floor.

Is he really going to kill you?

You spent the whole night fighting for your life, shooting zombies, dogs, actual monsters, your own fucking uncle — only to most likely be executed by the man you fell in love with within half a day.

In all honesty, it's so painfully embarrassing that you want to cry. How could you have missed all the blatantly obvious hints? How the hell did you not see it?

Is this what he wanted to confess to you before you found out yourself?

What the hell has he gained from keeping you alive? You don't believe he actually he cares about you. No. Absolutely not. Not with this stunt he's pulling.

Yet you care about him enough not to shoot him. You still care about him like the idiot you are, and he doesn't give a flying fuck about you.

What you don't seem to understand is that he does. He cares way, way more than he should. Leon casually moves around in the Greenhouse, and he's fucking worried — worried that another licker might pop out somewhere and kill you this time. Worried that one of the plant zombies might get to you before he does. Worried that you might die trying to run from him.