"He can't hurt you anymore." Clementine assured him. She wanted to reach out and touch him. She wanted to hold him and tell him that he was alright but she knew that she couldn't, "He's dead. The war is over."

"The war doesn't leave you just because its over." Draco shook his head, his white hair falling into his face before he pushed it back. "It's always there the second you close your eyes."

"I'm sorry." Clementine spoke softly. She meant her apology in so many different ways.

"For what?" Draco lifted his cool, grey eyes to meet hers.

"For leaving." It was the first time she admitted any regret for her decision, "It was cowardly. I should have just dealt with my emotions then, but I was immature. I—"

"It was good that you left." Draco cut her off, finally lifting his sleeve to reveal his mark. It stood out dark black against his pallid skin. "It saved you from all of this."

"Can I..?" Clementine looked up at him, asking for permission. Draco nodded his head and she let the pads of her fingers trace his mark.

It felt rigid, more scar-like than soft flesh. Draco winced at the initial contact, but eased into the warm feeling of her touch. The two stared at each other in silent understanding. They never needed words to know what the other was thinking, not even now.

"I need a drink." Draco's voice was hoarse when he finally spoke again.

"I'll join you." Clementine whispered.

The pair walked silently through the castle. Clementine suppressed the urge to giggle, reminded of all the times she had to sneak past the head boy and head girl to go see Draco in the dungeons.

Except Draco didn't live in the Dungeons anymore. He had a tower in the east wing, secluded and to itself. As soon as they walked through the doorway, the fireplace erupted into flames, casting a warm glow through the room.

The walls were made of rich mahogany, and the furniture was made to match. Green pillows and curtains made of velvet accented the room.

Clementine could see into Draco's bedroom. His four poster bed looked like it was on display, framed perfectly by the open doorway.

Clementine turned back to observe Draco in his home environment. In the light, she could get a clear look at his face. His eyes looked tired and sunken, and he still looked a little rough from the fight on the quidditch pitch.

"Is firewhiskey alright?" Draco asked, turning away from her to pour two glasses of amber liquid. She admired his frame, watching his broad shoulders rise and fall as he concentrated on pouring exactly the right amount of liquor. He turned back to her with a crystal glass in hand.

"I suppose I don't have much of a choice." Clementine accepted the drink and took a long sip.

Draco's eyes never left her face. He quietly studied her as he shook his head, a small huff escaped his nostrils in what almost sounded like a laugh.

"What?" Clementine asked.

"It's nothing." Draco stared at the fire. The flames danced in his irises, the flickering warm glow made his silver hues look like gold.

"Clearly it's something." She sat down in one of his dragon-leather armchairs, sinking into the surprisingly comfortable cushions. The drink swirled in her glass as she motioned to him with her arm, "Tell me."

Draco refused to sit, staring down the bridge of his nose at her. The fire crackled and popped in an otherwise silent room, "You... choices... It's funny, is it not?"