"Do you even know how to dance, old man?"

"Oh, yer little minx," he snorted, a genuine smile finally making it's way onto his face. "Get yer' ass off that fuckin' chair and come dance with me before I walk right out of this fuckin' pub."

Teasingly rolling your eyes, you placed your hand in his as you stood from your chair. Your dark blue dress fanning out around you, the embroidered gems catching in the light making you look ethereal and Alfie couldn't help the small "fuckin' hell" that he let out under his breath.

With a small giggle, you tried to stabilise your footing as Alfie led you onto the dance floor. Pulling you to his chest, Alfie placed both his hands respectably on your waist and yours moved around his neck.

After a moment of just swaying, Alfie pulled slightly away so you were both looking at each other before pushing you away and twirling you under his arm; causing you to loudly giggle.

With a gentle tug you were back in his arms, swinging around more vivaciously. The laughter that was leaving your lips with every dip and lift that Alfie was putting you through, definitely caught the attention of those around you; but neither of you seemed to care in the moment.

Wrapping your arms back around his neck, Alfie respectably began to waltz on the spot with you, your head resting on his chest.

"I believe I've tainted your reputation, Mr. Solomons."

Gently tilting your head up so you were looking at him, Alfie smiled down at you. "It was a pleasure to have it tainted by you, yeah, but I'll set them back on track tomorrow."

"Of course you will," you chuckled, "can't have everyone thinking that Alfie Solomons has gone soft."

After another dance, Alfie took your hand and led you over to one of the booths at the side of the bar – the men who occupied it, quickly scurrying to their feet and leaving the area.

"Looks like my reputation is still in proceeding me, doll."

"Luckily," you chuckled, taking the seat opposite him; your hands resting on the table top. Looking around the room, your eyes met Arthur's and John's who were in the corner of the room – them looking at you in concern, but you just shot them a reassuring smile, causing John to go back to the girl on his arm; but Arthur's attention remained on you.

Ignoring his concern, your glance finally landed on Tommy and Grace who were also staring at both you and Alfie. Frustration was clear on Tommy's face, his eyebrows furrowed and jaw clenched whereas Grace was offering you a confused expression.

Rolling your eyes, you turned your attention back to Alfie who was staring at you intently, an amused look conveyed just through his eyes – which were quite pretty if you were being honest.

"Why are you staring at me like that, Mr. Solomons?"

"They're protective of you aren't they, aye?" He grinned, placing his hands on the table just inches away from yours and you tried to ignore the way your heart skipped a beat at the thought of him taking your hands in his.

"I grew up with em'," you explained, "I'm not a Shelby by blood, but they consider me their sister, I guess."

"But you don't consider Tommy a brother, yeah?" Frowning, you moved to sit back against your chair, but Alfie quickly grabbed your hands. "I don't mean to be a nosy prick, I just noticed how you behaved around him. He's the one that's got you all down."

"No, you're right. I love him, but he-"

"Doesn't love you back romantically," he finished off for you. With a nod and sigh you looked down at your joint hands, before looking back at Alfie's face.

𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐲 𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐢𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें