04 | ❝ INSULTING ❞ ✨ ೃ༄

Comincia dall'inizio

"Lady Y/n! It's so nice to see you again! I heard you returned from the borders."

Y/n looked at Navier who subtly nodded as the knight find herself joining the Ladies conversation.

Y/n was pretty popular due to her skills and 'heroic tales' from saving the Empress while she was a child and (it was noteworthy that they both were near ages at the time), stopping wars between kingdoms from escalating as well as civil wars.

She had definitely made a name for herself.

Soon the conversation flew back to the Empress.

"Thank you for the invitation again. You're as beautiful as always, your Majesty."

"Agreed! And to what do we owe the pleasure of your invitation to this magnificent tea party?"

"You are all too much kind. I've invited you all here because I need your help." Navier started.

They looked eager to help the Empress either for their own benefit or admiration for the woman before them.

"Anything for you your Majesty!"

"Of course, we'll help!"

"His Majesty is searching for a lady-in-waiting to attend to his soon-to-be mistress. Would any of you be willing to become her lady-in-waiting?"

Y/n knew well that nobles took pride in their status in society, Navier knew it well too. That's why Y/n wasn't surprised at the frosty silence that was a huge contrast to the happy and outgoing atmosphere. Yet Navier wondered why they were so uncomfortable.

"Um. . Do you mean Lady Rashta?" A noble asked but Y/n noticed the look on their faces as if swallowing poison by referring to Rashta as a Lady.

"To be honest, she's all anyone's been talking about lately. Her and her status as a runaway slave."

That was thanks to Y/n who made sure the gossip wouldn't end. With the rumors, people had spread more gossip of what they knew or thought, that and it was a way to outcast Rashta even for a short time, considering she knew Sovieshu would find a way to assist her in entering society and with all her needs.

"I'd die of embarrassment if I had to become a runaway slave's lady-in-waiting."

And Y/n weren't surprised by their comments, after all it was also a breach of etiquette to force someone to serve someone with a mysterious and lesser rank than them.

The teaparty ended in an uncomfortable atmosphere. Y/n had sent the ladies off to the carriages and the entrance of the palace as Navier was accompanied by her ladies-in-waiting back to her room.

Navier was slightly tired as she had another problem to worry about, it was a knight that Sovieshu asked her to find to protect Rashta, it would have been fine since it was honestly easier to prepare unlike the lady-in-waiting issue but what made her bit her lip and clench her fists was Sovieshu even hinting that Y/n would make a perfect knight for her as Y/n was a commoner that would make it easier for Rashta to approach and trust her.

'even then Y/n is my knight first and foremost before being a knight of the Imperial palace' she thought, luckily her headache wasn't as bad after writing a letter to the bird's mysterious owner once again.